GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
FartCan Funny Man
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck starts really weak...it cranks and cranks for 2-5 seconds and then I stop and then do it again and it starts right up but idles really low for a couple seconds. Its a 99 nbs with the 5.3...wth could it be? I haven't really looked into it myself but I had a few minutes to type up a thread and thought I would ask...plus it's always dark outside when I have a few free minutes!

·
GMFS Señor Member
1,326 Posts
Word. My truck did that exact same thing. I put in 2 Yellow Top Optima batteries and starts up really quick. Nice and strong startup

·
GMFS Sr. Canadian Member
4,519 Posts
yeah, my starter spins really slow if i turn on my truck within an hour or two of running it.. it always starts, and it never stumbles or dies etc.. starter? battery?

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
yeah, my starter spins really slow if i turn on my truck within an hour or two of running it.. it always starts, and it never stumbles or dies etc.. starter? battery?
starter gets hot and doesn't want to work as well. chevys are bad about that.

My truck starts really weak...it cranks and cranks for 2-5 seconds and then I stop and then do it again and it starts right up but idles really low for a couple seconds. Its a 99 nbs with the 5.3...wth could it be? I haven't really looked into it myself but I had a few minutes to type up a thread and thought I would ask...plus it's always dark outside when I have a few free minutes!
battery going bad...again im sure.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
so there isnt a fix? as long as it is semi normal i guess. just sounds ghetto
not really as far as i know. some do it worse than others. about the only "fix" would maybe be trying a new starter. if theres a reman under there currently, pull it, pull it apart and break something inside it, toss it back together and take it to the store it was bought from.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Inspect cables.

Load test battery

Go from there.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
chevys are bad about that.
And fuel pumps, tranny problems, shaky gauges, steering clunk ( NBS ), driver's side DRL burnouts,........................:bowtie:

Yeah, but check the battery load and cables, like Hitman X said. Cables get corroded and never get checked. Also, maybe fuel pressure. I have seen, though not on a chevy truck, where the pressure loading of the fuel system will take a long time. Good way to check the battery is to turn on the headlights, radio, hazard lights, everything. Then turn the key. A good battery will fire up. A weak one, well, you'll be done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts