GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ever since my truck became my daily driver the thornbirds have taken a beating...I tried to rotate them and stuff but I think there just &ucked because I took to long to rotate them.... So its time for some new tires... I've got a couple of ideas of what I want but wanted to see what you guys thought about the tires I was thinking about... The one thing that I'm looking for is something that is highway friendly but will still give me the offroad capabilities I like on the occasional trip threw the mud or sand....LMK guys...

My Choices
THORNBIRDS- and just keep up with pressure and rotations religiously...I just love the look of them and their performance in the mud...Sand performance wasnt so good because they tend to dig alot...But just wondering if I keep up better considering the set I had were already pretty bad off when I bought the truck so I didnt get a chance to all that....

PROCOMP MUD TERRAINS

SUPER SWAMPER TRUXUS MUD TERRAINS RADIALS

SUPER SWAMPER SSR RADIALS

Or if you guys have any other ideas of some good tires that will perform good when I do go offroad but are highway friendly....Oh and am really partial to the more aggresive looking tires...Thanks

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
like i said on fsc

tsl radials

ssrs-to expensive
the rest of the mud grips wont pull near as good as a tsl

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
you think thornbirds pull good in the mud??!!?? If you think that... then get the SSR's and you will see a whole other world!

·
Registered
420 Posts
If your gonna be on the highway a lot I'd go for the Pro-comps actually. Friend of mine has the 315s and they have lasted forever, ride great still as well and pull like most any normal mudder.

My 35" SSRs on the other hand lasted a whole year and rode like shit the second half.

Another idea is the MTZs, these things are bad to the bone, ride excellent and wear like an all-terrain but still pull pretty well from my experiences with them!

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Thornbirds suck and Pro Comp tires are hit-and-miss with ride characteristics & treadwear.

For me, I would choose the TSL Radial or the SSR. I drove on 33x12.50 TSL Radials on my old 'yota and I really liked them. They self cleaned pretty well, they had good ride characteristics, you knew they were there... but not too loud, and they seemed to wear good for a swamper. They are also on the cheap side for swampers.

The SSR will probably perform similarly, but I believe most of the SSR tire sizes are all load range E. This means it's going to be a heavier tire... more wear on parts, slower acceleration, lower gas mileage, etc. On the positive side, load range E tires usually last longer and they're perfect for towing.

If it's a daily driver/weekend wheeler, I'd go with the TSL Radial.
If it's a daily driver/weekend tower, I'd go with the SSRs.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
BFG MTs will outlast any of the tires you listed, be considerably cheaper then SSRs, pull considerably better then Thornbirds, and ProComp MTs. They wont perfoms like SSRs or a TSL, but they will handle the road better. SSRs are SOFT and HEAVY and have characteristics similar to a PJ or a Nitto MG.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
BFG MTs will outlast any of the tires you listed, be considerably cheaper then SSRs, pull considerably better then Thornbirds, and ProComp MTs. They wont perfoms like SSRs or a TSL, but they will handle the road better. SSRs are SOFT and HEAVY and have characteristics similar to a PJ or a Nitto MG.
Word. To kyle. On a side note, Thornibrids have never impressed me other than sitting on the floor at interco where i seen them and laughed.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn its hard to decide...Especially with the difference in pricing...The Swamper TRXUS MT look really good for 150 a piece...Any reviews on those...

·
Resident Coonass
228 Posts
Trxxus Mt's suck in the mud.. I have 2 friends that have them on their trucks and they absolutely hate them. If you want a good mud tire go with some radial tsl's or SSR's. I loveeeeeeeeee my SSR's

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Check out the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R, Mickey Thompson MTZ's, or the Baja Claw's.. The Goodyear's are a little pricey, but they do pretty well on the highway, and amazingly in the mud. I have a set of the MT/R's because I got them for $145 a piece, but I'm so happy with them. They wear quickly and hum like a son of a bitch but I love them.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Its been my experince, many times over, that MTRs perform very similar to Thornbirds, in the mud.

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
you guys apparently havent been in stuff like this? Mtrs and thornbird would get swallowed in this shit. JSYGK. all your considerations suck for mud.
aa.jpg

thumbsup.jpg

ww.jpg

lindsay1.jpg

cc.jpg

PICT0839.jpg

PICT0862.jpg

PICT0795.jpg

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
I personally don't have a problem with the truxxus m/t's. A few of my buddies have them now and they all love them. One of them had a set of tsl's and swears the truxxus m/t's are just as good while being cheaper and the truxxus lasted longer (both were radials in 35's on 15" rims). If you can spin them they will clean well and they don't pack near as easily as bfg or procomp m/ts.

If you think the thornbirds did good, go with the truxxus mt's you were looking at. They will carry you through 10x more shit. Or go with boggers, then you'll feel invincible. (I agree with everybody else on here that thornturds are only good for burnout contests and are general garbage).

·
Registered
604 Posts
Ive had trxus mt's and ssrs. The problem is you just never know if your gonna get an out of round tire from Interco. 2 of my Trxus were, but tirepackage.com replaced em no problem and they are cheap there also. My SSR's were good also, but they cost more.....

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Maxxis is right! my toyos or anyone elses "Mud" Terrains.. wont do anything in stuff like he is talkin 'bout! My toyos would never have a chance in the stuff my Irok's take me through!

th_DSCN0829.jpg

Or I guess I should say, Almost through!! haha :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I just found out I'm gonna be given a work truck to use for work. I have to return it everyday but I wont be driving my truck the 100+ miles everyday... Wooohooo... And since I live in a small town with many others near by I do maybe 10k miles of driving a year max.... and in that case I said &uck it and order some bias 33x12.5 TSL Bias tires... I'll just make sure to keep up with tire pressure and rotations.. I guess rotating every month or how many miles..???? Ordered from 4wheelparts.com......WOOOHOOOO...

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
Well I just found out I'm gonna be given a work truck to use for work. I have to return it everyday but I wont be driving my truck the 100+ miles everyday... Wooohooo... And since I live in a small town with many others near by I do maybe 10k miles of driving a year max.... and in that case I said &uck it and order some bias 33x12.5 TSL Bias tires... I'll just make sure to keep up with tire pressure and rotations.. I guess rotating every month or how many miles..???? Ordered from 4wheelparts.com......WOOOHOOOO...
cool you will be amazed at there mud performance

·
bitter southern gun owner
1,142 Posts
yeh if you did alot of driving and still wanted a swamper id go with a ssr

but if you arnt save the cash for ssr's and just do the bias tsl like you said

i doubt you'll regret it

trxus m/t suck huge penis.......

1 - 20 of 38 Posts