GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what's up with my half ton, one of my friends said I need a shift kit. I'm not exactly sure, when I'm accelerating up to 80k my rpms are at 1500 rpm but jump up to 2000 rpm rapidly, but once I hit 90 it stops. Now if I punch it from a dead stop it won't do it. It's annoying as hell to drive with, just looking to get a second opponion. Worst case I do have another trans lined up for $100.

·
Baseball
2,306 Posts
Get the new trans, put the servo and shift kit in it and swap

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How hard is the shift kit to put in ?

·
Baseball
2,306 Posts
I dont think it's hard but you gotta drop the trans

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not sure what kit you're talking about, but TransGo makes a pretty good one for the 4L60E. It goes in without dropping the trans - at least it did on my 98 K1500. It has good flexibility for selecting the shift you want - anywhere from "RV" type shifting to holy-shit did that extended cab 4x4 just hit the tires on the 2-3 shift?
Big note here though - if you go with a kit like this, you will need an "off-road" tune to get rid of your computer's ability to try to regulate the shift speed and firmness.
With a stock computer setup or big box-tune, the computer will see the shift and try to adjust. I learned the hard way! Truck would hit the shift and fall on its face for a split second immediately after the shift as the computer was trying to adjust. Had to get that tuned to correct for the shift.
Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts