GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need some insight, guys. first thing: if the trucks been sitting for a few hours, but mainly overnight, when i make tight turns, something will make a loud creaking/groaning in the front end. this will go away if ive been driving the truck for a while. for example, my drive to work is 20 miles mostly highway. when i get to work and pull into my parking spot, everything is dead silent.

now the second issue. this is going to be very hard to explain without you actually experiencing it:think:

so here goes: lets say im cruising along 70mph on the highway and begin taking a long sweeping right turn. if i need to adjust the truck to slightly less right, as im turning the wheel to the left, the truck will continue on its current path until the wheel is almost centered again and then it will lightly jerk to the left, at which point i then need to correct right again. also while this is happening, i get a sound that almost sounds like a chain being dragged. this is a very large pain in my ass that has gotten real old real quick:flame:

pitman/idler arms maybe? im very new to this whole fullsize truck thing so bear with me. oh, and the truck is bonestock suspenion/tire size wise.

thanks alot guys!:worship:

·
Fiberglassing Guru
796 Posts
Idler/ pitman arm needs checked out as well as front hubs, they are sealed and not servicable, have them pulled off, and take a gander, sound like what mine did, my bearings were litterly welded from being so hot onto my axles..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Idler/ pitman arm needs checked out as well as front hubs, they are sealed and not servicable, have them pulled off, and take a gander, sound like what mine did, my bearings were litterly welded from being so hot onto my axles..
thanks man. come to think of it, i started hearing the chain dragging noise the day after i drove it to florida. i wonder if they just got too hot on the second day of driving. it was pretty much non stop driving for 10 or so hours:think:

·
Fiberglassing Guru
796 Posts
drive it for a bit. and feel the hubs with your caps off, if they are hot hot, it's your bearings for sure...like I said, mine welded to the axle...best of luck

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thought id give an update

took it to a dealer to make use of my extended warranty. anyways, both the fronts hubs were shot and i took care of the pesky clunky steering with a new shaft. feels like a brand new truck:biggrin:

on that note, they also tried to sell me brakes, fuel injection/throttle body service, and transmission service for.......$1784. yea, that didnt happen. he even tried to sell me the discount rotors at $150/piece:crazy:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts