GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fixed my under dash noise now I have another weird problem. 2006 2500 WT, when coming to a stop when I get between 10-5 mph the wheel will turn sharp right about 1/4 turn then the pedal will drop about 1/2" While driving down the road truck drives straight at any speed, while braking if I let go of the wheel it stops perfectly straight from any speed until I get under 10mph. If I start going from a stop and still have my foot on the brake it still goes straight. Anyone have any idea what would cause this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought I fixed the noise, I was wrong, I had found an after market remote start box under the dash I thought was making it but it wasn't. Still haven't figured out this issue either

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
sounds like the ABS kicking in when the pedal drops.

Noise could be the intermediate shaft too

·
Registered
19 Posts
Fixed my under dash noise now I have another weird problem. 2006 2500 WT, when coming to a stop when I get between 10-5 mph the wheel will turn sharp right about 1/4 turn then the pedal will drop about 1/2" While driving down the road truck drives straight at any speed, while braking if I let go of the wheel it stops perfectly straight from any speed until I get under 10mph. If I start going from a stop and still have my foot on the brake it still goes straight. Anyone have any idea what would cause this?

I suspect it's a wheel alignment and brakes issue. I'd be concerned especially with your brakes. Maybe have them checked asap?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is an ABS problem as I just found out tonight. Before I left work I pulled the 60 amp ABS fuse, truck stopped perfect, no pedal drop or turn of the wheel. Question is how do I find out what part of the ABS is causing the problem. There are no codes when I checked with my scanner. I would love to just disable the ABS but I could not stand the lights on the dash and the annoying beeping when I turn the truck on. Is there a way to disable it and not have the lights? If not where should I start, I can replace the sensors at the front wheels but they aren't cheap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Let me get this straight: ABS is kicking in when you're not in a slipping/skidding situation? ABS produces pedal vibrations and buzzy noises while it rapidly pulses the brakes, to avoid locking the wheels in a skid. Is this what you're feeling?

It seems to me that this is an unsafe condition for your car to be in all the time. If you're on dry pavement, your braking distance is going to be reduced by this unnecessary pulsing of the brakes. Also, I'm not sure how durable ABS mechanisms are, but I assume they're not built to be used in every normal braking situation, every day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Correct it was kicking in every time I stopped in the last 5-10mph now I need to figure out how to fix it

·
Registered
176 Posts
There was a recall on the GMT800/NBS trucks for the ABS sensors. The sensors are in the front wheel bearings, and rust pushes the sensors up out of alignment. Mine was kicking on at about 5 mph, especially if there were any bumps in the road.

I don't know if anything was remedied to prevent it on later years, like your 2006, but it was an issue for my 2001. I see that there is at least a TSB for that condition for the 2006 model year, but not a recall. It could also be that the bearings are worn enough to put them out of spec. A typical check of the wheel bearings would answer that.

I've been driving with the fuse pulled since 2009. The recall suggests removing the sensors, and cleaning the rust off the mounting surface. I never had any dealer perform the recall, since I heard too many stories of sloppy work resulting in debris entering the wheel bearing. ABS would be fixed, but then the wheel bearings would go out.

I attempted to do the work myself, but I couldn't get the driver's side sensor out without deforming it. I got lazy, never got back too it, and really haven't missed the ABS. I only notice when people point out the dummy lights, like maybe I wasn't aware there was a problem. I figured mine would have worn out on their own by now, but they haven't. When I was shopping, I found Timken hubs for $140 per side, WITH new sensors and wiring, so why bother spending $50 per sensor; I'll wait.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts