GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I am thinking about getting a welder, well more than thinking. I really don't have any experience, but really would like to learn. What is your opinion of this deal? I was thinking more along the 175 (210 gets a little pricey). But if it's a good deal maybe worth making the sacrifice. I obviously have survived for many years without anything, so something is better than nothing. This also wouldn't be as much up front.

I bought this millermatic welder a 3yrs ago and have used it very little. It is the smaller miller unit that runs on household 120v AC. It was purchased at toll welding supply. I will include the shielding gas tank, cart and auto darkening helmet. The original receipt totals $997 I am looking for $500 for all.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Id get a bigger machine if you can afford it. A 120v machine is either a 100a or 135a machine and with flux you can reliably weld 1/4" with very low duty cycle. With the 175 or 210 will burn much hotter and will make it easier.

Ive messed with my neighbors 135 a little before I got my 175 and the difference is pretty large.

With that said I really like the range of my 175, Ive built furniture, bumpers, crossmembers, welded up exhaust and temporarily repaired a bent garage door leaf. Ive done 3/8" with it, but its not really up to that without a deep bevel and several passes. A 210 would have been nice but I couldn't justify it and after 8-10 months of use still couldn't if I had to go back.

·
05 Sierra Crew
987 Posts
Don't know if it means much but it looks like Miller came out with a new line, there's a dealer on ebay selling the old 135s new for $576 I think and thats shipped. He probably has some other deals too but I haven't really looked too much because I was mainly looking at the 135s

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have a nice 135A Lincoln here. does all the exhaust welding I need and the smaller sheet metal jobs. Best of all it runs off of 110 house current so I can plug it in anywhere and do my welding. It wont do any plate since it can only weld 5/16" at max. but it does its job well. For the $550 I bought it for with the cart I say it's a good deal for a beginner.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
if you think your goin to be welding thinker metal later on just go for broke and get a 230/250 lincoln or miller :imo i just picked up a used 255 lincoln for 500 off craigslist.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Structurally not really. but my personal feel is I like to TIG bigger pieces. It's a higher quality weld though. The reason I use TIG is because when I was taught how to TIG it was on HUGE pieces of metal in a die making plant. Not a MIG in sight. They wanted everything done in TIG so thats how I do it. All it is is a personal preference. I like how I can control the puddle better with a TIG and it is a bit stronger but a much higher quality weld.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts