GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
if youre just doing small jobs, a 135amp / 110v Lincoln from Home Depot should work fine. If you going to be welding anything like the frame of a car, I'd get a 175amp / 220 volt machine.

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
if youre just doing small jobs, a 135amp / 110v Lincoln from Home Depot should work fine. If you going to be welding anything like the frame of a car, I'd get a 175amp / 220 volt machine.
Yeah, if you don't do much welding just get the cheap one. If you are going to do a considerable amount get what ever you can afford.

·
Registered
37 Posts
A MIG is probably going to be your best choice, as others have said. I also suggest a Miller or a Lincoln, and if it fits into your budget I would also suggest you get a 220v machine. With the 220v you will have enough power to do basically anything you can imagine!

Another thing to think about is a TIG machine. I don't know what your skills are in TIG welding, but the cool thing about TIG machines is that they can also be used as stick welders. TIG machines can also weld on aluminum, magnesium, mild steel, stainless steel, and many others without much work to switch between the different materials. TIG machines are more expensive, but if you need/want the ability to weld on many different types of material and produce very high quality welds than I would suggest the TIG. Hope this helps! :)

·
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do you know how much the 110 runs in price

i know how to tig and mig weld already i just need to find a machine in my budget

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
There was a Hobart 140a 110v on the back of my Winter NorthernTool catalogue for ~$470.

·
05 Sierra Crew
987 Posts
I just went through looking for a welder and I was ready to buy a lincoln 3200HD sold at home depot for $459, it comes with a lot including a gas line and regulator ready for mig. I also found a deal on ebay that was $450 to my door, no sales tax. But at the last minute I found a miller 135 for $350, and I didnt notice at the time but there was no gas line so I had to buy one and it finally came in. Set me back around $70 so in total I paid $420 for my miller set-up, still looking for a bottle, but probably just going to rent one though.

·
Fluffy and Armed
636 Posts
Do you like Blue, or Red? Go with either one IMO. Just make sure you have some kind of shielding gas, and it's not fluxcore IMO.

·
GMFS Uber-Member
688 Posts
http://www.weldersplus.com
Cheapest prices for good, brand name welders I've found. I'm planning on getting a Miller 140 Amp MIG in early April, something like $600 without running gear. I want the 220V 180A unit, but no 220V plugs in the garage and my drop from the pole is maxed out...any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a Miller 180 a few months ago. It is made with a metal drive wheel instead of a plastic one on the Lincoln. I got the gas regulator with Argon gas for welding aluminum and the cart. I think it was a little over $1000 for everything. It beats using my old Lincoln 220 stick welder.

·
layin big rubber
1,457 Posts
up here in alaska where tax free, so last year i got a lincoln 175 from lowes for 650 out the door

220volt machine, did my frame welding with it for my bags

worked fine for me

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
miller 251, i love it. Welds anything i want. Also have a spool gun for doing aluminum while its no TIG i can MIG aluminum and steel without problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts