GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to perfect a butt-weld.... I can weld but Im not any good at an end to end or butt weld. My headers go on next weekend and I would rather do the welding myself. So is there any tips or anything I need to keep in mind here? Other than just turning the voltage and speed down a bit?

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
I try to exagerate the width of the weld on butt welds to maybe twice the size of the throat ID make on a similiar material sized fillet weld. I use the same settings though.

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I try to exagerate the width of the weld on butt welds to maybe twice the size of the throat ID make on a similiar material sized fillet weld. I use the same settings though.
Ok. I just didnt know if voltage needed to be reduced to avoid burn-through. Im gonna try a few things tomorrow. Im guessing I need to speed up my pattern a bit too?

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
The exageration in width usually prevents burn through with the same rate of travel and voltage setting you would have used to fillet weld 2 similiar thickness peices.

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
How do you go about exaggerating the width? Do you just go back and forth a bit like /\/\/\/\ or go slightly slower with faster wire speed?

·
Registered
807 Posts
How do you go about exaggerating the width? Do you just go back and forth a bit like /\/\/\/\ or go slightly slower with faster wire speed?
yes, going in a motion of whipping the gun back and forth will prevent burn through...as well as filling in the weld gap. you dont want to whip a ton but enough to fill a small gap. and going slower will make you burn through you want to speed it up a little.

also, if your not experienced you are going to have some burn through. i used to have to turn down the settings to prevent burn through but now i dont have to do that because i have became more experienced. just a tip when i started out doing butt welds especially on pipe i found that for actual gaps that you can see a visual hole through, just make little tacks with the gun facing into the previous weld to prevent burn through because your not heating up the material enough to burn it but enough to make a tack type deal just holding the trigger for a second or two to add a little material and just keep repeating this method till your area is filled...

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
I move in an overlapping C pattern, with the C's laid longways across the axis of the weld. To change the width I just decrease the arc in the middle of the C.

Stacking tacks is bad mmmkay? Its alright for sheetmetal but don't do that garbage on thicker stuff or anything without a high FOS for the weld.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I move in an overlapping C pattern, with the C's laid longways across the axis of the weld. To change the width I just decrease the arc in the middle of the C.

Stacking tacks is bad mmmkay? Its alright for sheetmetal but don't do that garbage on thicker stuff or anything without a high FOS for the weld.
yes, overlapping C pattern is easy to do...but mabe not as easy for someone with not alot of skill. and i said stacking tacks because if he has burn through there is no way hes going to be able to fix it not being a skilled welder other than tacks, because for someone without skill filling in a big hole made from burn through i think would just make them fuck it up more not knowing how to do it the right way...:imo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts