GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive started to do a lot of reading on welding and will be taking some classes possibly as well. I am also starting to look into welders. I need something that can weld no less than 3/8" mild steel. I still am not sure what would be best for my needs, MIG, TIG etc...

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_210/

That is one of the welders I am looking at. It will be a big investment so I would like to get one I can grow into, one that wont fall short of being able to weld together a frame for a buggy, heavy duty bumpers etc...

Anyone have any recomendations? I dont even know if MIG is the best way to go.... Only requirement is that it has to be able to be run out of a residence, so 240 volt is the max.

·
GMFS Firefighter
133 Posts
My father and I bought a Hobart 175 mig from Tractor Suppy Company, came with an auto darkening helmet, and a cart. I think it was like 635 or around that. It works great, I have used it to weld some heavy duty bumpers on my jeep, and a boat trailer, and other heavy duty things. It's very easy to learn on as well.

Later, Wes

·
My name's not Kevin
308 Posts
If your going to take a class. Ask the instructor. I see your still in school, go by the metal shop and ask there. Sorry I can't be any more help but my welding is limited to gas and arc.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I also have a mig from harbor frieght for like $400-$500 and it sucks...Just plain sucks. In HS I welded everyday with Millers in metal shop and was able to lay down perfect beads, and this hobart wont do shit. It works sometimes and dont sometimes, so atleast you are looking at a good welder. I think that one would be fine with what you want to do. Miller is top notch IMO...

·
GMFS Firefighter
133 Posts
Aberbaseball7 said:
I also have a mig from harbor frieght for like $400-$500 and it sucks...Just plain sucks. In HS I welded everyday with Millers in metal shop and was able to lay down perfect beads, and this hobart wont do shit. It works sometimes and dont sometimes, so atleast you are looking at a good welder. I think that one would be fine with what you want to do. Miller is top notch IMO...
Which Hobart do you have? I have noticed some irregularities in the feed, sometimes the wire gets hung up in the nozzle, but i figure is the cheap wire we are using. All in all I think its a great welder if we just had is set up right.

Wes

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Its a 110 and I have the same exact problem. The feed sucks, and if you dont have a constant feed then the welder is useless... If I needed to tack things then it would work fine, but I cant run a bead cause half way through it gets jammed and it doesnt keep a constant feed any of the time...

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
The 210 is sweet. I bought one around 6 months ago and got it with 2 free regulators, the dual tank kit, and the spool gun for aluminum. It's handled everything I needed and more. For what you mentioned this would be great......the 250 would be incredible to have but the cost got me too....

Cameron

·
eplingphoto.com
550 Posts
I use a Cambell Hausfeld 110 it was 300 bux from our part distributor and it's Perfect for body work. I welded the gate closed on my toyota project with it without a hitch..

You can run flux core or gas with it, I use a small tank with mine, and it's super light and portable.

·
Registered
199 Posts
DE,

I am saving up for the 251. Miller is definitely the way to go. If you can save up the bucks and get a 251 you will be set for life no matter how much welding you get into. MIG is the way to go if you are welding on vehicles. Its not as good outside as stick because the shield gas can be blown away even in a light wind. But, its more tolerant of less than pristine conditions than TIG. Now as far as price is concerned, I have searched every nook and cranny of the web and the best prices are at:

http://www.cyberweld.com/index.html
their miller page is at:
http://store.cyberweld.com/milmigwel.html

Those prices in red include shipping. Note the 251 with the spoolmatic gun for $2629. If you plan on doing any other type of welding, specifically Aluminum. this is the best deal. The gun allows you to have an extra spool of wire without having to change the main spool in the welder itself. Make your own tool box etc.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I definatly think I am going to go with a Miller MIG, if I can get the cash the 251. Would it be a big deal to get the spoolmatic later? It would just make it that much easier for me to buy it, not having to do it in one big chunk.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
I definatly think I am going to go with a Miller MIG, if I can get the cash the 251. Would it be a big deal to get the spoolmatic later? It would just make it that much easier for me to buy it, not having to do it in one big chunk.
Ya know, I just looked back at that on that site. Now it USED to be that the 251 with the spool was cheaper and maybe included some additional supplies compared to buying them seperate. But now it looks like it is actually $20 cheaper to buy them seperate. Hell I may have to jump on the 251 for 17 and change. Every time I save up about 2Gs it ends up on some vehicle before I can spend it on the welder :weld:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts