GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Southend Terror Squad
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at working thinking today and I was wondering would welding the brackets together help with the regididity (sp?) and help hold an alignment better? I have had few problems with my lift other than my bracket bending (and that had to be from sitting over night in a 4' hole). But I was just wondering what some of you all thought about it?

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
That would make the whole front frame assembly stronger yes, but not help hold an alignment. its all in the alignment bolts, that keep it in tact. keep them tight is the only thing to hold an alignment.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I welded mine together and haven't had any problems out of it. It hasn't had any of the "squeaks" that most of the guys with this lift talk about.

·
GMFS AF Member
299 Posts
If you weld it, would it be removable in the future?

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
That would make the whole front frame assembly stronger yes, but not help hold an alignment. its all in the alignment bolts, that keep it in tact. keep them tight is the only thing to hold an alignment.
Not true - if the entire kit shifts it screws your alignment - welding it all would stop that. Its not preventing the cams from moving, but thats normally not the issue on this kit.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
I see where you are getting at. Thats why usually you align the truck right after then drive it, let kit shift then re torque it all then re align it. Wheeling hard will still tweak it possibly. But I dont justify welding it IMO.

·
4,725 Posts
Welding is a good idea EXCEPT for warranty purposes I would imagine.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
I was going to get my Superlift kit welded in a couple spots to keep the shifting to a minimum as I was realigning 1-2x a month. If I kept it Id have done it by now for sure.

·
4,725 Posts
Agreed, I've been wanting to weld on mine, but the fact of going SAS ended that.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
If I was going to keep the kit for awhile I would weld it as I am with Kyle on this one and having to do alignments all the time. Everytime I wheel it I know I will have to get an alignment.

·
Registered
912 Posts
If you weld it, would it be removable in the future?
I welded all of the drop brackets to the crossmembers as well as the drop brackets to the frame so mine is not removable.

·
Registered
912 Posts
After I finished welding everything I had it aligned and it has stayed aligned since then. This was almost 2 years ago. I have wheeled it and it still drives perfectly straight. Either I have been extremely lucky or the welding fixed the alignment problems.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Anything is removeable. Get a grinding disc and have at it. It will take forever but who wants to unlift?

·
Registered
195 Posts
this alignment issue has got me worried. im currently getting a 6in full bracket drop kit put on my 2500hd. is alignment really that huge of an issue with superlift? 1-2x a month is crazy. things have not been going good with this lift so far, got a bunch of incorrect brackets and such and i hope this alignment thing is not true for everyone.

Anyone with pictures of what they are welding together?

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Kyle wheeled his IFS in rocks thats why. Its not that big of a deal. People tend to make themselevs think they have problems when they actually dont. Put on the lift align it call it good.

·
6,656 Posts
Kyle wheeled his IFS in rocks thats why. Its not that big of a deal. People tend to make themselevs think they have problems when they actually dont. Put on the lift align it call it good.
Your definatly wrong here, these are very real issues I see quite commonly - remember I work at a shop so am exposed to this daily. I can honestly say this kit holds an alignment worse than any other kit on these trucks by a long shot. I would call not driving very good, wearing out tires and your IFS componets extrmely fast a pretty big deal considering its all preventable by just buying a different lift....

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Your definatly wrong here, these are very real issues I see quite commonly - remember I work at a shop so am exposed to this daily. I can honestly say this kit holds an alignment worse than any other kit on these trucks by a long shot. I would call not driving very good, wearing out tires and your IFS componets extrmely fast a pretty big deal considering its all preventable by just buying a different lift....
Im not disagreeing with you. Im just saying regardless of what kit you have, yes you have more leverage on parts then stock. My old 96 i had i never aligned the damned truck at all when i had it for a year and a half. I never had probs other than tire wear from city driving alot. Tire rotation fixes that. And the roads here are fucking terrible, im saying people freak out too much about certain things. Unless your tires are wearing funny, or vehicle is pulling excessively then you align it, other than that leave it alone.

·
6,656 Posts
I agree, but the superlift kit causes the things you just described. When your measuring alignment your talking tenths of a degree - when the entire subframe shifts say a quarter of an inch - that throws your alignment off enough it wont drive right, tires will wear "funny". A kit where the subframe is not so many parts and is welded together stops this shifting - welds dont shift! Stopping the shifting will stop the alignment problems associated with it.

As far as wearing, all lifts do wear on parts more - but being out of alignment makes it even worse - hence why i mentioed that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts