GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
GMFS Señor Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm going to bite the bullet and finally work on the K5. I'm done with my Duramax...just get the bowtie painted. Now it's time to get me a different DD and since I have the K5 sitting in the backyard, I want to get that thing moving. The body is in good shape, the interior needs work, and it doesn't run very well. So what I'm thinking about doing is starting at what's under the hood and work my way inside.

So my question is...which engine/tranny should I look for? I want to find a new/rebuilt engine and tranny. Stick with a 350 and get somewhere around 350-400HP? 350 turbo for a tranny? My buddy has a 400 turbo sitting around that he'll sell me for $600...will it bolt up to a 350? What do you guys think? I'm not too educated with this stuff...so I need you motorheads to chime in!

This is for my 1979 Chevy K5 with a 6" lift, 35s on 15x10s, and 4.56 gears. Won't see much mud but will definitely get to play in some sometimes. Mostly a street queen.:bowtie:

·
GMFS Señor Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good deal. I still need to see if the TH400 is in good condition.

·
I miss you little guy
1,546 Posts
If you have cash to spend you can find some pretty nice crate motors in summit and jegs for 3k and under. If this is going to be a DD im assuming it will see some highway use? Maybe look into something like a gear vendors OD unit.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Get an LS-Juan!!

·
GMFS Señor Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hahaha! Juan? I'd want my shit to sound old school...a nice growl...not a ferocious purr.

·
GMFS Señor Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Mark. I don't know what else I could do to it except go bigger, change rims and tires, or put it back to stock. I plan on trading this thing in later on for a 2WD Duramax Crewcab for the kids I plan on having in 3-4 years. So to spend my money somewhere else, I'd like to focus on the K5 and use that as a daily driver.

I see Mateo in here! Come on buddy! Tell me what I need to do to get this thing driving down the road!

·
GMFS Señor Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ayjaaaaaaa!!!! We'll have to cruise once you get it rockin!

I can tell you before you spend a dime on a part, pay $25 to become a full member on http://www.Coloradok5.com. Probably THE best resource for these trucks.

I would imagine it is a th350 trans and np203 tcase like my 79 was when I bought it. I would just rebuild the th350 if it's not working for you right now. The th400 would be nice to have since it's beef, but with the info you've given it's possible that it won't bolt to your tcase. You'd probably have to hunt down an adapter. If you plan on doing a decent amount of highway cruisin (i.e. needin overdrive) I would probably rock a 700r4 if you want an automatic. I've heard nothing but praise about the Raptor 700r4 and the shop it comes from:

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/highperf700r4.htm

If I had the money to burn I would most likely score a crate from jegs or the like.
Funny thing...I never knew I became a member over at K5 a while back. Not a full member but a member. What do I get with the $25 to become a full member? A new engine and tranny? That would fuckin' A!

Right now, the engine has been worked on numerous times but it's been left sitting around for months and almost a year. It's ran overheated and I'm pretty sure it's just limping. So a new 350, I think would be bad ass. It came with the original th350 and I'm guessing an np203...but I remember my dad saying it had an np205...I don't know. I told you a while back that the flywheel was the problem in the tranny. But it could be something else. You know more than me, Matt, and that is why I need you to tell me what I should look for to get this baby going with a new heart. What do recommend for my ride?

1979 K5 with 6" lift, 35s, 4.56 gears, will be a DD in the city, on the highway, and maybe even a few distant trips.
Which engine?
Which tranny?
Transer case?
Am I missing anything?

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
I would say fuck the crate motor and just buy one in good shape for ~500 bucks, put a cam rods and lifters in it, get an aluminum intake and a big carb, some longtubes, and youll be straight. You really dont need much more than 200-250hp, cause like you said youre not going to be doing much but street driving, so all you need is sound. Let the gear do the work for you when youre offroad. I cant tell you shit about the running gear, but my mom could bolt a small block chevy together, so you should be fine.

·
GMFS Señor Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My budget would have to be around 3k-4k for everything. I'm guessing I would have to look for something from wreck yards. My problems are I have no idea what I need and I don't have the time to search for these things. Maybe my buddy can help me out. Still, I would greatly appreciate all the help I can get.

·
GMFS Señor Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
True. The tranny has a clicking sound...almost like it's slapping. I actually took it to a transmission guy that does transmissions of all sorts but mostly focuses on trannies used for performance and he said it could be the flywheel.

I would definitely appreciate a lookout for the stuff you think will work to get me on the road. And if you find something, then I can always make a trip north. Just let me know dude. And I'll check with my guy if he still has the TH400. What do you think of this transmission, Matt? For $600?

·
GMFS Señor Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn...how would I get it down here? I could rent a trailor from my buddy. If the truck runs good, then I might as well get it. Right? He says it has a NEWER 350 but how does it look? How does it run? NP 205 and a th400 tranny? Just about what I need.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts