GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today on the way back from class my roommate talked enough **** to get me to lock my 4wd on my Z and go play. I slide off into some monster ruts and had to give my tires and truck a little hell but it was so much fun. I used to offroad the hell out of my 99 Jeep Cherokee, but I was afraid with a little cranking on my torsion bars and 3.73's with the 35's would hurt my truck. I was wondering what do I need to be worried about when bogging with my truck setup like it is. My bars are only cranked to where the front end sits exactly 1" taller then the front so I don't think the angles should be that bad. Also with the HUGE tranny cooler I put on at x-mas I shouldn't have to worry too badly about the tranny either should I? Also I didn't have any binding in the CV's but once I hit the Push button it said it was locked in but I gave it a little gas and then rolled back into the whole and it poped, like it was locking in and then it got fun. Well just wanted to share with you fellas and I am sure I am giong to go back down there in a few.

Now for the tire review on my PowerKings. The tires absolutely have no grip until they really get down in the mud and then they hook up like you wouldn't believe. The center tread just doesn't have what it takes to get it done, not until those side lugs grip and then it just yanks you out of the whole. My roommate (one that convinced me to go after saying I should drive a HONDA) said that his truck with his 285 Dunlop mud rovers wouldn't have had a chance of getting out and our trucks are identical. So overall I am pretty happy with the tires and I hope my truck is perfectly fine.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
It should be fine, just dont give it a lot of gas if your front suspension is dropped out and/or your wheels are turned all the way. That is how CVs snap.

9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK well the tires were kinda turned, and I had to give it about 3K rpms to get it to climb out hehe. I honestly would have been really pissed and let down if my truck had messed up because it wasn't that intense, but it was a blast. Just checked the oil and it was good and the tranny fluid was nice and red. what about the transfer case...how do I check that, or should I not worry about it if everything else is good? I absolutely had a blast though and since both tires were on the ground in the front, I figured the CV's wouldn't be bad at all. And with the TB's cranked to 1" higher then the front I would think I shouldn't have much to worry about there either? Any knowledge you want to share Dark would be awesome.

·
6,656 Posts
It doesnt sound like you have to worry at all. Unless you were sitting in water as deep as your doors for a long period oif time down worry about fluids. You would know it if your CV snapped. Just wash off all the mud within a week or 2 so it doesnt collect moisture and hold it on parts that can rust. Other than that get some pics!!

9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome. I wasn't in water up to my doors and surely wasn't in water more then maybe 20-30 seconds so I should be ok. Man I shouldn't have gone because now I remember how much fun it is to go offroad and play. Time for 14 bolt and Dana 60 to go on! Hey Dark did you ever have any problems out of your truck with ur setup? I mean did it handle the load of the 35's and the lift and everything pretty well and now you just want to go biggeR?

9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Naw man I don't think I got all the way up to the doors at all and I surely wasn't that deep but a second or two. I would say I got as deep as a few inches below my door at the deepest. i wasn't paying too much attention to depth on the mud because I was watching my tires dig down and sling the shit out of it!

·
6,656 Posts
Ive had very little problems. Most I have broken is because when I play I play hard. I destroye a u joint - 10 buck fix. Ive fucked up some tie rods but thats no big deal - was also because I based them into some wood. All in all its held up decent, I just know it wont hold up like this forever and I want to go bigger and play harder!

·
[>
3,255 Posts
:waytogo: Sounds like you'll be addicted again LOL.
I agree with DE.. you shouldnt have anything to worry about. Maby a Tierod every now and the or even a CV, but most people can wheel 35's with hardly any problems.

Take pics next time

BD

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I am getting to where I like to go in the mud again. I gave it up after high school, but I went out to the ranch the other day and tore some shit up. I had those big military tires on and they sling crap everywhere. I am still not to rough on her, cause she's falling apart as it is. But its fun to do everynow and then.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
It is really fun...i went today for the first time in a long time...last time i went was a disaster...so i haven't really wanted to go. I found out its time for some 33" mud tires...bald 31" ATs don't cut it...but somehow worked good enough for me today...they surprisingly havn't let me down...

9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The whole reason I haven't taken it in the mud is because I wasn't sure if my truck would handle it ok because I figured the CV's and such might be a problem. I plan on offroading at least once a week now over by the house and when I go home there are a few spots to hit so that's what I plan on doing. thanks for all the advice and such guys.

9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I went back yesterday and hit the ruts and such again and my truck and the tires did awesome. I love these tires, and they grip awesome in the deep gooyie stuff.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
You keep talkin about your tires doin good in the deep goo and doin really well...what kinda tires do u have again? I rememer u sayin sumthin a while back about them, but can't remember what kind they are...

9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My tires are called PowerKings. They are basically a really skinny Groundhawg type tread. If you click on my sig or homepage I think there are some shots of them.

·
4,725 Posts
The whole reason I haven't taken it in the mud is because I wasn't sure if my truck would handle it ok because I figured the CV's and such might be a problem. I plan on offroading at least once a week now over by the house and when I go home there are a few spots to hit so that's what I plan on doing. thanks for all the advice and such guys.
No wonder you get a new car every 4 months.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts