GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I took my truck through the local clay pits, and did some real slipping and slidding. I also tried to ride down some old hunting club roads, and since it had been raining here for 7 days straight I didn't make it. I ended up in the ditch. Two hours later I got out with the help of 2 300 lb guys and a come along. Anyways I need some mud tires. What do you recomend? I have a friend that runs Maxis Mud holeshots that seem to do really good and they are cheap. Are they worth it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
my BFG's were awsome for a first mud tire just think BFG has put millions of dollars into those tires over the years. if I had a dollar for every truck I've seen on 3 budget mud tires in the bush I could buy another swamper. I now run TSL radials and they are the shit offroad and make a ton of noise on but who cares how loud they are :head: the super swamper truxis mud terrain is real good too they are siped and work real well in snow ice

·
Registered
832 Posts
If you want real performance definetely go with a swamper, However if you want a better ride and not much tire noise go with BFG KM,MTR or any other radial mud tire (that is a tamer tread pattern than a swamper). The Trxus is from what i have heard good in mud, it has similar outter lugs as a TSL which do well in the mud.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The BFG M/T is really nice, however NOISE AS HELL! Now I don't know how loud swampers are, but my friends 35" BFG M/T's are fookn loud!

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I like the tires on my truck, mastercraft courser MTs...cheap and a pretty agressive mud terrain. ride nice and aren't too loud rt now...i know what you mean with the rain lately tho...its been rainin everyday here in augusta too...MTs make a HUGE difference tho, no matter what they are when compared to ATs...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Noise really won't bother me as my truck is lined with dynamat everywhere you can think of putting it. I just want something that is good in mud, not goind to break the bank and get decent mileage out of.

·
5,501 Posts
Check out my mastercraft MT thread...someone stated like 4 or 5 different tires that are cheap and still good tires...

·
5,501 Posts
i was lookin on the site and it said they had quite a few different sizes of that tire, and nothin bigger than a 32" equilivant for a 16" rim...they had like 35s, 33s, and 31s for 15s tho.

·
Total Eclipse Smokefiend
174 Posts
I'm a tire technichian by profession, and do plenty of trucks (many lifted with oversize tires).

I feel the best light truck tires made in the truck industry now, are Bf goodrich (and my entire shop would agree with this), particularly the all-terrain. I run these on my own truck, and lots of freinds have ran them. They do well offroad..Don't plan on getting stuck unless far exceeding the limits. My truck has 245/75/16's and has only gotten stuck once and that was probably becuase I didn't have enough speed and just started digging once it got real deep (I was over the tires). I have found they tend to clog up very quick unless you use some horsepower (which luckily my big tank has), but its still the best non purpose offroad tire I have used so far. The best part about these tires, however, is how awesome they are on road. I know a few guys who have got as much as 100k on these with lighter vehicles and a religious rotation scheadule. They handle extremely well. My 7000lb truck is smooth as day at 100mph (once you get over the unloaded 3/4 ton bounce that is).

For a true mud tire, The mud terrain from Bfg is one of the better choices. As far as being a road tire, it sucks...but its better then most other true mud tires I have ever seen. They tend to chop pretty quick but they ARE mud tires and not really designed for it. I would say the MT is the best all around true mud tire you can get. Save bias plys for vehicles with the sole purpose of wheeling.

We also sell lots of private label stuff that isnt too bad. I think one of our biggest selling truck tires is the Trail mark M&S (Private label from goodyear I believe). I haven't seen these in action, but people say they aren't bad at all. They look aggressive, and they are cheap (like 100$ a pop). Don't expect great highway mileage, though.

as far as some confusion with tire sizing, ill give some approximations on common lt metric tire sizes to the high flotation sizing you guys refer to used on fullsizes.

235/85/16 = 32/8.5/16
245/75/16 = 31/9.50/16
265/75/16 = 32/10.50/16
285/75/16 = 33/11/16

Anything past this is a bit of a gamble fitting on a stock IFS Gm fullsize vehicle. Some guys can run skinny 36's with wierd rims and lots of tweaking, some cant run more then a 285.

305/75/16 = 33/11.5/16
315/75/16 = 35/12/16

These are the most common sizes. There are some other oddballs you might see but pretty much up to 33 inches is your limit without mods. A good 33 with a few other offroad necessity's will get you through more then a daily driver has business getting through anyway.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Also look at the X-Terrains, they are a good mud/at tire. They are no swamper but do great on the road. I just clicked past 32k on mine and could get another 10k out of them I bet. Ive been very pleased with them.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Get LTB's, they rape in the mud and with proper rotation (every 3k) you should see atleast 30k, thats not bad for a 100 dollar tire. Now everyone is going to say oh those ride crappy, those suck blah blah blha and half of them have never used em, hell, i havent used them, but i have talked to a bunch of ppl that do and they say they dig better than TSL's, grip the rocks better and ride better, this is according to pirate and i think we all know those guys dont really use their rigs :crazy:

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
I HAVE drove a truck with them and I will say they kick ass off road but unlike what you said suck on the road. This was a long time ago (3 years maybe?) but they rode really bad on road, the guy that owned the, said he couldnt get them to balance out worth a shit and would never buy them again unless it was for his ranch truck that ONLY went offroad.

·
Registered
162 Posts
PBB is a crawlin site. When they say that the tires are fine for the road, that means that they are OK for a short run down to the trail, and back. That's not DD shtuff.

·
Registered
832 Posts
therealgeronimo said:
Noise really won't bother me as my truck is lined with dynamat everywhere you can think of putting it. I just want something that is good in mud, not goind to break the bank and get decent mileage out of.
This is why i think LTB's would be good for him, Noise doesnt bother him, something good in mud, and not going to break the bank and decent mileage.

LTB is a lil over a 100, you get a hardcore swamper, you will get atleast 25k with proper rotation, they will be noisey but he doesnt care. I think these would be good to you. The guys on pirate i was refering all ran them on their DD's and got 30k.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts