GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get either handheld tuner or new computer module like a westers, but I wanted to get some input before I actually purchased something. What are the perks of a completely new computer module versus just getting a tuner? And about what kind of money am I looking to drop?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
bwoods1115 said:
I'm looking to get either handheld tuner or new computer module like a westers, but I wanted to get some input before I actually purchased something. What are the perks of a completely new computer module versus just getting a tuner? And about what kind of money am I looking to drop?


I'm interested in this too, I want to buy a new module, I wanted to get a Nelson Tune, or a Wester Tune, but dang are they expensive, heck the I think the predator is 100, and some dollars. but come on Westers, Nelson are 400-500.00 jesus christ... I duno the answers to your question, but I do have them question also...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
The Wester's and Nelson custom tunes, from what i've heard, are MUCH better than any handheld tuner. I believe the Nelson Tune will run you $500.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,816 Posts
brock said:
id save for the nelson...
:word: Handhelds can only do so much. A nelson/westers will let the guy tuning it tune your truck to your needs and its specific setup, and no handheld can come close to that. I would go for a nelson, esp since he offers retunes for free. now if only he could tune mine...
 

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
Joined
·
14,932 Posts
Handhelds usually give mkay performance for the money, not a ton but it's usually better than nothing at all.

The HPP3 is good for upping shift points and correcting tire size, power gains are usually pretty low with them.

Predator is a step up from HPP3, gots real time stats, can custom tune, etc. It's nice but locks to your PCM is the downside of it.

ProFlash/Crane I've heard good stuff too, but nothing more that I can elaborate.

Custom is always the best way to go IMO, seems that you can just set it up the way YOU want it for YOUR mods. I'm pleased with my custom setup...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Hit Man X said:
Handhelds usually give mkay performance for the money, not a ton but it's usually better than nothing at all.

The HPP3 is good for upping shift points and correcting tire size, power gains are usually pretty low with them.

Predator is a step up from HPP3, gots real time stats, can custom tune, etc. It's nice but locks to your PCM is the downside of it.

ProFlash/Crane I've heard good stuff too, but nothing more that I can elaborate.

Custom is always the best way to go IMO, seems that you can just set it up the way YOU want it for YOUR mods. I'm pleased with my custom setup...


Why are the Nelson/Westers so dag on expensive?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,816 Posts
Someone sits down with the specs of your truck and reprogams your pcm by hand with a program like LS1edit versus a bigass company building a little electronic device that plugs in. Big difference in labor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Whifflebat said:
Someone sits down with the specs of your truck and reprogams your pcm by hand with a program like LS1edit versus a bigass company building a little electronic device that plugs in. Big difference in labor.

heh, probably takes an hour, I'll pay 20.00 for an hour worth of labor which is just pure typing/pushing puttons/clicking something.
 

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
Joined
·
14,932 Posts
Gotta recall the software to flash the PCM is expensive as a mofo...
 

·
Jason RIP
Joined
·
6,062 Posts
gEx said:
heh, probably takes an hour, I'll pay 20.00 for an hour worth of labor which is just pure typing/pushing puttons/clicking something.
It's more than that .. they also stand behind it and in the case of Nelsons provide free updates for life.

Plus ever heard "A guy takes his rough idling car into a mechanic .. the mechanic turns one screw and the car runs perfect, he presents the bill for $85 and the guy flips, why do I have to pay you $85 to turn one screw? The mechanic replies, you didn't pay me $85 to turn one screw, you paid me $85 to know what one screw to turn"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
gEx said:
heh, probably takes an hour, I'll pay 20.00 for an hour worth of labor which is just pure typing/pushing puttons/clicking something.
If its so easy why dont u start you make your own chips and sell them for 20 bucks. little tougher than pushing some buttons. Gotta know what buttons to push.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,816 Posts
bcubed said:
It's more than that .. they also stand behind it and in the case of Nelsons provide free updates for life.

Plus ever heard "A guy takes his rough idling car into a mechanic .. the mechanic turns one screw and the car runs perfect, he presents the bill for $85 and the guy flips, why do I have to pay you $85 to turn one screw? The mechanic replies, you didn't pay me $85 to turn one screw, you paid me $85 to know what one screw to turn"

:word: I would love to see someone sit down with a computer and the softare for an hour that doesn't know anything and let them push all the buttons they want, then I'd laugh when nothing worked :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
heh, I guess you guys are right, but still, how is it that PCM For Less sells for $250.00, then these other guys are two hundred, or more dollars more?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Dont forget pcmforless.com I have heard nothing but good things about these guys, they offer all the same stuff Nelsons and Westers offer, but about half the price. I have a 00 and it is only going to be 250 for a custom program. I have not done it yet, but I am willing to give them a try for half price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,816 Posts
Only thing I didn't really like about pcmforless is the 6 month period they give you to update. In my case that would SUCK. I have no idea what is down the road for my truck, possibly a head swap, different tranny, who knows. With PCMforless, if I wanted a tune now, I'd have to do all that within the next 6 months, or pay another $250 for a retune down the road. Simple math says that once I retune it once, I'm already over the cost for a nelson. If i had a nelson tune, I could just update it whenever I got around to whatever mods I don't know about yet :) But, if I never planned on changing anything, then pcmforless would be the way to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
True, I'm sure if you talked to him he'd do a reprogram cheaper then that forsure. I'm not knocking anyone, or anything I'm 16, and I hafta pay for all my extras since my parents bought me the truck, and I'm just trying to get the cheapest deal but still yet the best, Oh! and Nelson isn't some big company, cause I called them, and I got the answering machine, then I got a call back from I believe its a residence, atleast I think so, kim I believe, or Tim Nelson heh.
 

·
Line-X of San Antonio
Joined
·
5,237 Posts
it is absolutely worth the money. allen is fixing to put his tune on my 04, and i was 100% satisfied with the money i dropped with him on my 2002. i was leary at first, but it was WELL worth the cash. allen has excellent customer service as well since he is a growing small business. if everyone saw the time it takes for him to test features of his software, and also to master the little things, not to mention the cost of the cables and software liscences, you would understand the cost of the tune. not to mention free updates!
 

·
Plead The First
Joined
·
2,593 Posts
Josh you ever been down to his shop? I want to check it out one of these days but I don't want to go with out the cash to buy as I will be no doubt lured to.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top