GMC Truck Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
this
1,584 Posts
Some of the 427's had a dif type of connecting/wrist pin. Came apart easier.
Still, for $8000 i would just buy a merlin III. Five hundred and forty cubic inches of pump gas goodness.

btw- you can go up to 454 cubic inches on a 010 SBC block if you have a large enough CC head. Grind off the some of the excess metal on the block and with alumn heads you can get them fairly light.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
the w head 409 and 348 is way different than any other big block gm, so maybe the 427 was based off of it, but very loosely.

yea, down low a 454 has torque, and mid to upper has nothing. Eventho you'll pop out the hole with a 454, the 427 will smack it in the long run.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i beleive in 64 they punched out a w 409 to 427 for the drags..and i dont think they made many....some of them 409's would run! but you just cant find parts now a days....BBC FTW!

·
I miss you little guy
1,546 Posts
Some of the 427's had a dif type of connecting/wrist pin. Came apart easier.
Still, for $8000 i would just buy a merlin III. Five hundred and forty cubic inches of pump gas goodness.

btw- you can go up to 454 cubic inches on a 010 SBC block if you have a large enough CC head. Grind off the some of the excess metal on the block and with alumn heads you can get them fairly light.
Merlin 632, 900 horse of pump gas goodness:D

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I don't think so. The heads determine the RPM range. Cubes will always win in the long run.:read:
hm, I agree, to a certain extent. the 454 still doesnt have much of a power curve, you can head and cam it, but then your not comparing apples to apples anymore. So I agree, in most cases cubes win out, but I disagree that a 454 is better than a 427 for racing...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Wow. Nice damage. Have to wonder though after all that cash why skimp out on a tranny?? Did the truck have a d-shaft hoop or did it smash the buttom of the truck then lift the rear of the truck after diggin a hole into the pavement?

41 - 50 of 50 Posts