GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck sags currently when Ive got a big trailer on the back, what kind of rear airbag system do you recommend that I could install to resolve this issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
how often do you tow,

does your towing situation involve lots of changing between towing and not towing?

Do you tow varying weights? like a boat trailer and a small ATV trailer?

The reason I ask is if you have lots of changing going on, id get a system with an onboard air set up, so you can fill/dump air out of the bags without having to climb under the truck.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how often do you tow,

does your towing situation involve lots of changing between towing and not towing?

Do you tow varying weights? like a boat trailer and a small ATV trailer?

The reason I ask is if you have lots of changing going on, id get a system with an onboard air set up, so you can fill/dump air out of the bags without having to climb under the truck.

1)tow rarely

2) Towing 8,500 lbs next week

3) Its a 32' travel trailer

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
I just put a set of PacBrake bags on my Dodge last weekend to get rid of some of the sag when I pull the Chevy. I was impressed with the brackets and fitment, when they said my kit was required no drilling they really meant it.

Unless you have a leak (in which case I'd just fix it) I really don't think you need the compressor. Just measure the ball mount height before and after the trailer, air the bags up at home until the measurements match and go about our business. On the road, thre are always gas stations with air or in my case, I've got a 20lb CO2 bottle in the Chevy.

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
Does the sag affect handling? If not, it might be ok just to accept it. That's what trucks do when the rear is heavily loaded, they sag.

·
Diego Mafia
2,625 Posts
how much does an airbag system really raise the back? can someone post some pics of the airbags fully unloaded then fully loaded it you dont mind. thank you.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
if i remember right on my dads buddies van he can get about 2" of lift from empty (5psi to keep them from collapsing) to 70 psi

·
Diego Mafia
2,625 Posts
sweet that's what i wanted to hear! thinking about doing a 3 inch spindle with my 2.5 spacer and then running the stock block in the back it the air lift system on the back so i can adjust my rear set up. ALSO is the ride better or worse with the air bags almost empty compared to full.

·
Eat Yo' Face
727 Posts
ive had these bags from Air Lift for 5 years now. i pull a chemical tank that weighs around 3000lbs. i usually put around 80 to 90 psi in them when in use. it also adds around 2 inches of lift when full. the ass end feels real stiff though if you run the bags full when not pulling anything.

isaishpicsjune09077.jpg

isaishpicsjune09078.jpg

isaishpicsjune09082.jpg

isaishpicsjune09081.jpg

·
Class Pays
451 Posts
sweet that's what i wanted to hear! thinking about doing a 3 inch spindle with my 2.5 spacer and then running the stock block in the back it the air lift system on the back so i can adjust my rear set up. ALSO is the ride better or worse with the air bags almost empty compared to full.
If your gonna have the airbags full when not towing the rear will ride stiff as hell
IIRC

·
Diego Mafia
2,625 Posts
okay thanks for the pics and everything guys. that makes sense about running them with out a load.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ease of installation will be the most important factor. They are all going to do the same thing. I think you'll be fine just airing up as needed.

This is the BEST choice for a little added capacity. Guys that level the trucks with the hitch bars are out of their minds....They just haven't gotten bit is all.

Knowing someone who lost a new at the time Suburban, 20ft enclosed trailer and built BMW M3 in one accident in the rain.......Never gonna be me.....(not that the LDH doesn't have it's benefits but they aren't to level the truck)

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
ive ran airlift bags on all my hds and have never had a problem, i know the kit for a 1500 is different since it mounts on top of your springs and no on the axle where the bump stops are located but should be very similar. i think it would be a very good investment for you if your towing that much weight, it will improve your stablitly and handling if you were to just leave it sagging. ive never done the onboard air kit for the bags since it doesnt take much air to raise them but on my next truck i will be since i go loaded and unloaded alot more often.

when empty id say the bags can add up to 3" but like stated it will ride really stiff, id say 1" off the bags wouldnt make it ride horribly bad, i usually keep mine at 10psi to maintain a good ride.

·
Diego Mafia
2,625 Posts
I really want an on board system.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts