GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went there for a quote on my 96 4 door Yukon, just being curious. 2 different body shops said they could hook me up and do it for $1800, one was discounted cuz he is a friend of a friend, the other was doing it "on the side". Now of course I want the body shop, they will probably take there time, tape stuff off properly, do a few coats of paint and a few coats of clear.

Now MAACO said they would give me the Ambassador for $250 "$100 off usually price" the guy said(yeah right, i said to myself). Value prep "special promotion" 40% off making it $135. Then he says they are adding $300 cuz it's an SUV, (I'm thinking wow that must mean my truck uses twice the paint of a regular car, hmmmm, don't think so) And then materials and supplies fee $200, labor for taking the roof rack off and putting it back afterwards $80. something else (Sublet/env)$10 and tax an even $10(riiight). So this $250 paint job is now up to 985. Oh wait tho, theres more, he will upgrade it to Supreme "A $350 difference" for free if I bring it in by the end of the next day (which is a saturday) cuz he needs work for the week.

I'm just thinkin to myself, wtf....:yourself: lol, i did get a chance to see some work that was done that was sitting outside. He said "don't touch that one cuz it's still fresh" LOL Looked ok, not perfect, had some overspray on some plastic but overall the paint looked ok and they had the ambassador

also, how come in MAACO's in MD the Signature service says something like 1500 on the wall but in Hampton Roads, VA they have that same thing on sale 899 regular price is 1099. (I know they are independent but thats a big price difference)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And I know people will bash MAACO but sometimes they are not a bad option if you don't want to spend 2 grand and you can prep it yourself. My truck isn't worth anymore than 6000 no matter what mods I have so that's why I wasn't too sure about the 1800. I have 185k miles on it but i plan to keep it even if i need to make large repairs but still don't kno if i want to shell out 1800. Hell i just got my rear end fixed for 1500.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I had one of their paint jobs about 12 years ago on a daily. As long as you do not mind the orange peel they are ok. It looked real good from 10 feet but closer inspection revealed the orange peel. Where they will get you is on body work. They taped everything very well, but only applied a few thin coats of paint and light on the clear. I can promise they did not buff it out or color sand.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm gonna see what Severn Auto Body is talking about but if it's over 2 grand I can't do it because I already have 2 credible shops offering to do it for 1800.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
roll on brush and eurethane paint>Maaco....least there's no orange peel if you do it right...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is Earl Scheib basically on the same level as MAACO?? Also, anbody know any good shops where it won't be more than 2 grand in the md dc va area?...

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
That quote sounds fine for a truck, I dont see what youre complaining about here? It cost my dad almost a grand to get his van painted. Its a fullsize vehicle, the $200 paintjob is for civics and geo's.

Also, it is the prepwork and the painter that makes a piantjob not the facility.

Im no pro, but educate yourselves on paint then go and ask questions, you could get a great paint job from Maaco if the right guy is there....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
covah23 I'm in pg county md. Hyattsville to be specific but I wouldn't mind driving an hour to someplace good. OrangeCrush , you are right, I've heard some people recommend a specific MAACO cuz they know the painter there is good, also have seen pics of paint jobs from MAACO that looked real nice on some civics when I was researching maaco. but the majority of them don't care about your vehicle from what these people say.
The best thing about what the guy at MAACO would give me is the warranty cuz other maacos i went to would not warranty me cuz I already had the bodywork done(small dents bondo and prime)

Whatever I get I will post pics on this site. Won't be getting it for probably another 2 weeks or so at least tho...

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
The ones I know of are in Anne Arundel. One in Crofton, on Route 3. And Classic Collision Center on Central Ave. ( Rt. 214 ) in Edgewater. I have seen that C & D Auto Body in College Park have their fans.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anne Arundel isn't that far, maybe 30-45 min so that wouldn't be too far at all, give me al the good ones you know about. I just wanna see where I can get a professional job done with a few coats blk and a few coats clear for 1800 or less since i already have 2 shops telling me 1800 and those are discounted price.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Severn auto Body in Annapolis would be the best I know. All I use, now. The others are just a few I've heard some good things about. Never run into a lot of paint and body work, mostly mechanical. And, considering i know little about body work. i just know good work when i see it. i.e.: you should never notice work was done. $1800 does sound good, though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts