GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
hptuner
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hay everyone
im have avy 05 5.3 stock (in near time i will install k&n air intake , cat back ,headers , programing )
im want to install cam in it after that, but what did you think is the best cam for daily use?

:hmm:

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
for a daily driver i'd do something like a 252/256 with .640"/.648" lift on a 109 lsa. pair that with a 2,200 rpm torque converter and you should be good to go.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Welcome to the board. Some of the answers are laden with sarcasm but there are some knowledgable people here. It is hard to say what the best cam would be as it would depend on your usage and what you are trying to accomplish. A lifted 4x could require something completely different from a street/track truck. There is a cam thread at the top and "search" can help you find some answers.

·
hptuner
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
do everything before the tune
absolutely

???

Welcome to the board. Some of the answers are laden with sarcasm but there are some knowledgable people here. It is hard to say what the best cam would be as it would depend on your usage and what you are trying to accomplish. A lifted 4x could require something completely different from a street/track truck. There is a cam thread at the top and "search" can help you find some answers.

thanks....:shake:

·
hptuner
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
for a daily driver i'd do something like a 252/256 with .640"/.648" lift on a 109 lsa. pair that with a 2,200 rpm torque converter and you should be good to go.

did you think i can install this size cam on stock spring??

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
Daily use is a relative term. Several of us run 3600 rpm stall converters on a daily basis and I know f-body guys that run T-Rexes and Mega Death cams on a daily basis. It all depends on what your goals are and what you use the truck for. The most I haul in my truck is the occasional couch or a motorcycle and I've had no problems with my setup.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yup, I like way loose stalls and more mild cams. All depends what YOU like.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Perhaps a TR220 and a TT3000? or would that need more stall?

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
Yup, I like way loose stalls and more mild cams. All depends what YOU like.
Yep; I love starting out easy then flashing the converter and watching the rpm shoot jump instantly. Shift extensions are awesome too; people that ride with me think its crazy or something's wrong with it but I enjoy it. The converter is probably the single best thing I've done to the truck next to a tune of course; it dropped me a full second in the 1/4 and is still completely streetable IMO.

Perhaps a TR220 and a TT3000? or would that need more stall?
That used to be a fairly common combo; I'd go with a SS3200 with that cam for a DD and someone that wanted a fairly tame setup. The TT3000 is a good converter, don't get me wrong, but I don't think its the best choice for a cammed engine unless its something like a 212/218 or smaller. Its a really tight converter.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
avalanche is a beastly behemoth. I'd probably go with a tamer cam than the TR220 just to get that curve a bit more to the left.
Like mentioned, everyone is different, but maybe you could take a look at something like a 208/212 114 or something around there. Just one opinion.
I daily drive the TR220 in my 5.3 with a Yank PT3600 and I love it (although I'm currently working on trying to tone down my exhaust so it doesn't sound like a drag car is trying to take off at every stop light!)

·
Registered
141 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.