GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Sierra with a 5.3. I found a good deal on a 2001 6.0 to swap. I read somewhere that it is better to have a 2003+? Will the 2001 work? What will I need to swap it into my truck? Would I be better off finding a later one for more money? Thanks, Michael

·
LAID OUT TIRE FRYER
1,992 Posts
i believe the 03+ 6.0s make more hp, but that could be due to tuning. what are your plans, just a motor? or modded motor(cam, heads,etc.)?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a cam, headers, tune. Nothing to crazy. Of course I would love a supercharger, but I am being realistic..... I thought there was something about the flexplates being different, or the crank....

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
just make sure it's for sure not a 99-00. Those have iron heads and a longer crank snout and won't allow you to use a 4l60e with it.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
These motors got a crank trigger change to that 58 from the 24 around that 05/06 change up too. That's the key to deal with. I think I've seen adapters to use the later motor in an earlier app too.

Yes, 04/5 area LQ4s got the LS2 rods and full floating pistons too.

That's about all I got.

·
Registered
11,334 Posts
These motors got a crank trigger change to that 58 from the 24 around that 05/06 change up too. That's the key to deal with. I think I've seen adapters to use the later motor in an earlier app too.

Yes, 04/5 area LQ4s got the LS2 rods and full floating pistons too.

That's about all I got.
They went to the 58 tooth wheel in 07 classics and newer I think. 06 and prior the trucks were 24.

05+ got the good rods. I think 5.3s got them then too but Im not positive.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Well got some good info out there. :banana-mario:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ask and I shall receive. So, an '01 should have aluminum heads? I think it was the longer snout that I was concerned about. I would like to use my trans. I was going to sell my truck and get a 2500 but this is a better deal and I do love my truck. I know the 4l60 might not survive, but I have a GM 3 year warranty. If it fails, I will have time to build a better trans. Thanks again, Michael

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts