GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
On my way up!
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend wants to lower his truck, but doesn't know exactly what to get. And I don't know too much about lowering kits...so what should he do?

Here's his truck:
IMG_5343.jpg

IMG_5342.jpg

·
Resident Metal Head
5,527 Posts
well, how much of a drop would he be leaning for?

There is kits to go from 2/3 to 4/7 drops and everything in between both front & back.

·
On my way up!
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure. I showed him your truck and he said probably something like that. What do you have?

·
Resident Metal Head
5,527 Posts
I've got a McGaughys 4/7 drop with helper bags in the back.

Front consists of 2" drop spindles and 2" drop springs(which settle so really I got like a 5" drop upfront)
Rear consists of a flipkit and I put a McG helper bag kit on the back to stop from bottoming out so much.

A popular configuration for that low of a drop now adays is 2" drop spindles & springs from GroundForce. McG flipkit out back, with either McG's helperbags or airshocks(can't remember manufacturer on that, I'm sure JB will chime in and let you know).

People don't seem to like McG's front drop configuration cause they aren't powercoated, so they get surface rust right away, and upper ball joint boot doesn't sit all the way down properly. I've got them and have no complaints though.

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
I dont like MCG spindles for several reasons

1) not powdercoated

2) balljoints stick up 5/8" and dont seat

3) have to trim brake shield (only one that requires this)

4) have to use some wierd stud for the upper bearing mount (not strong and rusts)

my suggestion is belltech or GF spindles/coils or spindles/ BT struts and MCG flip for the rear....or complete belltech kit

If you do go MCG, dont buy a kit because the MCG coils suck and sag like a bitch which makes your truck not able to be aligned

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sorry to thread-jack but whats the difference in spindles/coils vs. spindles/struts pertaining to ride quality, driveability, price, and ease of intstall?

·
Registered
88 Posts
If he goes with McGaughy's look for Tim on here. Can't speak for everybody else but he was the best price i could find anywhere for a 4/7, and his shipping is pretty fast i ordered it last sunday and got it friday morning. Can't wait to get it installed!

·
Registered
297 Posts
If he goes with McGaughy's look for Tim on here. Can't speak for everybody else but he was the best price i could find anywhere for a 4/7, and his shipping is pretty fast i ordered it last sunday and got it friday morning. Can't wait to get it installed!
I would second that about Tim on here. I too bought mine Sunday night and received it Friday. He answered all my questions and I got a great price. The factory spindles are rusty too so it won't matter.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sorry to thread-jack but whats the difference in spindles/coils vs. spindles/struts pertaining to ride quality, driveability, price, and ease of intstall?
I think the main difference between going with coils versus struts is you get to keep your stock coils up front versus swapping them out for lowering coils that aren't as good. The struts are nice too because you can drop the front 1 - 2" or leave it at stock height or lift your front 1 - 2". Personally I am running the spindles/struts and I really like my ride up front...its pretty smooth for a 4" drop.

The driveability is even better because like JB said the lowering coils will sag and potentially mess up your alignment. The struts are a little bit more expensive, but not by much. The ease of install is the same because you have to pull the strut out anyway to remove the coil. Hope that helps.

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
Exactly, the adjustability makes them nice. Also, new struts are easier to install. With coils you have to compress the stock down, then remove tool, then compress lowering coil, then remove tool per strut. If your doing new struts you just compress the coil, install on new strut and remove tool...you cut your steps in half.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts