GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
┌∩┐(º_º)┌∩┐
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As i've mentioned before in another AC thread, my 5'th gear doesnt work in my truck. 1-4 work great, but 5'th just shuts down completely. I replaced the resistor pack, but with no change. Is there any way that i can test the switch itself before i go spending more unnecessary money at this thing? It's a 2000 with normal HVAC controls. I searched all the way back to 06 and still didnt find the answer i'm looking for.

·
┌∩┐(º_º)┌∩┐
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Beuller?

·
//NC FL\\
1,067 Posts
there might be a relay just for the high speed or a fuse.

·
┌∩┐(º_º)┌∩┐
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i replaced the switch... no change. Still no 5'th. What the fuck now?

·
┌∩┐(º_º)┌∩┐
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ttt

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
5th gear? :roflmao:

5th is straight through full power to the motor. Sounds like your motor is bad. Can't handle high amperage, only reduced power. Shuts down when you give it too much power.

New motor is expensive and laborious to install, fuck it :imo live with 4th.

·
bombs on target
3,016 Posts
im just throwing this in...may not have anything to do with the other, but i have the lpp headers and have had issues with my a/c as well. it will blow hot then if i turn it off and turn it back on it will come on fine...like i said dont know if it has anthing to do with the other.

·
┌∩┐(º_º)┌∩┐
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it doesnt... my truck has been doing this since i got it 2 years ago.

Is there a way to test the motor or probe the 12v signal out of the switch to try and track this shit down? kinda sucks only living with 4'th when it's 118 outside.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
Did you replace the harness when you replaced the resistor?

·
┌∩┐(º_º)┌∩┐
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no i didnt replace the harness. How do i check the harness and is it a readily available replacement part?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
no i didnt replace the harness. How do i check the harness and is it a readily available replacement part?
Yes it is readily available. Its about a 50/50 chance when the resistor goes if it will take the harness out with it. The resistor alone fixed mine, but I could tell the connector of the harness had gotten hot. It will be the harness that connected to the resistor.

·
┌∩┐(º_º)┌∩┐
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
where can i find that harness? Auto parts store or is it a stealership part?

·
┌∩┐(º_º)┌∩┐
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
weird.. 20º outside and magically 5th gear works now. what the fuck, chuck?

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts