GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 04 Z that has a w4m pcm, true duals, and a clod air intake. I am looking at a 20-28ft camper that weighs roughly 4500. I plan on pulling my atv trailer(16ft utility) with two 750cc quads on there. All together, we are looking at about a 5000-7500lb load. My question is should i get some new gears *or* say the heck with the entire idea? I mostly will just be pulling the camper with a atv in the bed. Should i go with 4.10's *or* what? I am only on 285/60/18''s so thats a bit of an advantage. *or* do you think it will wear it out? I pull a boat that is around that weight and it does fine now with 3.73''s until i hit hills and its useless.

Ok and Lastly, does anyone have some for a 10bolt rear end, front and rear? Also what else can i do to make it pull better? Thanks.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
4.56:1 at least, the tire is not only tall but HEAVY.

Get some real mods, you don't have any that help. W4M are cheap and well, that's about it. The true duals are hurting your midrange torque, go back to a single 3"

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah the w4m tune is worthless, but it was only $25 so i said, Why not? As for the true duals, I have a xpipe os it runs pretty stout like that. Now when i was running true duals no crossover, or when i had a ypipe and duals, or when i had true duals and glasspacks, or when i had true d/i, d/o, this setup seems to work best. Now for the gears, do you think it would pull alot better with the 4.56.1? And when you say some "Real mods" what are you referring to exactly? I dont believe a pcm by jesse or wheatley is really going to do that much... I just havent been impressed with tuners except on a diesel.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
yeah the w4m tune is worthless, but it was only $25 so i said, Why not? As for the true duals, I have a xpipe os it runs pretty stout like that. Now when i was running true duals no crossover, or when i had a ypipe and duals, or when i had true duals and glasspacks, or when i had true d/i, d/o, this setup seems to work best. Now for the gears, do you think it would pull alot better with the 4.56.1? And when you say some "Real mods" what are you referring to exactly? I dont believe a pcm by jesse or wheatley is really going to do that much... I just havent been impressed with tuners except on a diesel.
Get a tune from a real tuner, not W4M, Justin at Blackbear.

Long tubes, ORY into a single 3" like dok said. Cam, pulley, gears, etc.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not really looking into dumping thousands into this truck. It is actually for sale b/c i want a diesel, but if i get a diesel that means no camper. :( I was looking to maybe swap gears and retune the pcm. Not wanting to do longtubes and what not. As for the pulley, which one and will it yield any noticeable difference? I have never heard of changing pully's on a stock gaser.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
You're not going to notice a lot with a pulley alone, or any mod alone for that matter. I was under the impression you wanted to get a better tow rig and had some coin to drop.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it all depends on how much we are talking to do this. The truck is paid for and if i sell it, I will have to add about 5-7grand to get a dmax which will pull anything i have and some. I'm willing to drop a grand or two but thats about what new gears front and rear will run if i cant find used ones or some that someone decided not to use. Install labor is a beast, and i think i can do them but everyone keeps saying, "Dont fool with ti if you dont know what you are doing." I personally dont think it would be that bad seeing how i taught myself how to gear atv's etc.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Well it all depends on how much we are talking to do this. The truck is paid for and if i sell it, I will have to add about 5-7grand to get a dmax which will pull anything i have and some. I'm willing to drop a grand or two but thats about what new gears front and rear will run if i cant find used ones or some that someone decided not to use. Install labor is a beast, and i think i can do them but everyone keeps saying, "Dont fool with ti if you dont know what you are doing." I personally dont think it would be that bad seeing how i taught myself how to gear atv's etc.
Then how much is your D-MAX payment for 5 years, 5 to 7 thousand dollars is an average sized down payment on a D-MAX, a drop in the bucket.

I'd spend

1,000 on gears
700 on long tubes, offroad Y and single 3"
200 on a pulley
500 on a cam
250 on a tune

(very rough estimates, I realize)

And your truck will make up A LOT.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nah to get a dmax, i will have to trade my truck and about 5-7 grand and it will be paid off also. Unless i cant sell mine and then we are looking at around 7-10 grand difference.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
The just go get a fucking Diesel and don't listen to us. :rolleyes: A 5-6 year old middle of the road truck isn't worth much.

That little 5.3 doesn't need true duals, certainly not with your mods. That's killing almost all of your midrange torque.

Charlie tunes well as does Justin, thinking you got a tune from W4M worth a damn is comical at best. They've been proven to just be very generic.

Air intakes add maybe 8rwhp at the top end, yeah that really helps you tow.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Thinking you got a tune from W4M worth a damn is comical at best. They've been proven to just be very generic.
It proved too much for him to change my gear ratio successfully on my 2005 truck when I had W4M.

Swapped my 3.23's out and tried to have him re-tune it, going about 30 the speedo was reading 60 or so, I don't know exactly what he fucked up, maybe tire size or both, I just called Justin and said fuck this W4M shit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was in the same boat. At the time I bought my 07 I didn't want the price of a Duramax and now I'm getting a bigger boat and hit grades to where I would be going. The monthly payment dif from my truck to a duramax would've been about $200-$300 easily ($24k compared to $43k) I'm getting ready to drop about $3900 in to my 07. 4.56 Gears $625 from Brothers in Ontario, Cam kit from Thunder Racing $600, 54k mile used 6.0 Longblock $700, Pacesetter Headers and Y-pipe $400, CAI ? on what kind aprox $350, Torque converter 3400 stall, Cunningham tune $350 misc parts n gaskets $250-$300. I hoping to get atleast 425 lbs of torque and 400+ hp. It's gonna take me a month or so to get the parts rounded up. Now my buddies trying to talk me into a set of used AFR heads for $1100 with rockers. :stupidme: damn talk about snowballin. I just wanted more towing power!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I definately am not trying to piss anyone off hitman. I'm just confused at whats the best route. I think i am going to regear the rear to see what kind of a diff it makes, btu now that silveradodude said jesse couldnt tune his when he swapped gears makes me nervous. I dont really have another 350 to drop on a tune. If i bought a dmax, then it would just be a loan instead of straight up cash outa my pocket. You know? I guess my funds arent ass deep as some of you guys apparently. :(

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I was in the same boat. At the time I bought my 07 I didn't want the price of a Duramax and now I'm getting a bigger boat and hit grades to where I would be going. The monthly payment dif from my truck to a duramax would've been about $200-$300 easily ($24k compared to $43k) I'm getting ready to drop about $3900 in to my 07. 4.56 Gears $625 from Brothers in Ontario, Cam kit from Thunder Racing $600, 54k mile used 6.0 Longblock $700, Pacesetter Headers and Y-pipe $400, CAI ? on what kind aprox $350, Torque converter 3400 stall, Cunningham tune $350 misc parts n gaskets $250-$300. I hoping to get atleast 425 lbs of torque and 400+ hp. It's gonna take me a month or so to get the parts rounded up. Now my buddies trying to talk me into a set of used AFR heads for $1100 with rockers. :stupidme: damn talk about snowballin. I just wanted more towing power!
What about a used 460 powered F350? I saw one backed by a ZF in crew cab form at $2700. Nearly 400tq @ 2400rpm, in smogged out, stock form... just imagine a mild cam, non retarded timing set, full exhaust...

Don't overcam if you have to tow.

Mark has some Dynatechs for sale and so does another cat soon, go those over the Pace.

And lastly, no OD towing with the 60E.

Well I definately am not trying to piss anyone off hitman. I'm just confused at whats the best route. I think i am going to regear the rear to see what kind of a diff it makes, btu now that silveradodude said jesse couldnt tune his when he swapped gears makes me nervous. I dont really have another 350 to drop on a tune. If i bought a dmax, then it would just be a loan instead of straight up cash outa my pocket. You know? I guess my funds arent ass deep as some of you guys apparently. :(
Well staying out of debt is smartest and working with what you have... Justin's tunes are cheap from memory, like sub $200. And a good regear depends on skills...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So do you think it would be ok to regear just the rear for now and then get a tune from justin? I will regear the front but not until i see how it performs and the gas mileage... Also I already have true duals with a xpipe, what could i do to get back the midrange then? I dont want to take it down to a single, so would a di do muffler help?

And how do i get ahold of this justin guy?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
if you do just the rear, i would take out your front driveshaft until you have the front and rear gears the same ratio

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
So do you think it would be ok to regear just the rear for now and then get a tune from justin? I will regear the front but not until i see how it performs and the gas mileage... Also I already have true duals with a xpipe, what could i do to get back the midrange then? I dont want to take it down to a single, so would a di do muffler help?

A regear would be a HUGE difference in towing ability and overall driving.

He's a sponsor guy here down on their section of the main page.

Nothing wrong with a single pipe, people have been putting close to 600rwhp thru a single 3"... the dual 2.5" have an area of nearly a single 4" from what I remember. Just too large.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts

Single 3" will be best for your setup like we already said. Nothing you have warrants duals. It's not 1968.

www.blackbearperformance.com or PM JustinSS or JennaBear.

Better unplug your transfer case button, wouldn't want to accidentally put it in 4WD without the front re-geared or you're looking at some nice ring and pinion soup.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
does the front driveshaft spin when you have it in 2wd?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts