GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a beater this week! Before you say anything, I know it is a Ford! I believe I have hit an all time low! But hey, I need a beater, it was cheap and it runs. I will just sell it back to the previous owner as soon as I get my truck back on the road. He needs the money and I need something to drive this winter.

Ugly?! Isn't it?
65740232.gif

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$1500, probably too much, but I am helping out a friend with some money! Thats all I need is another project! It has a 351 and it 4 wheel drive. I have thought about a paint job, but it needs bed sides and a lot of filler. Not in my winter budget! It needs a new carb, front bushings and a heater blower, but I have all those parts sitting in the garage. The guy I bought it off of is going to put it all on sometime this month. It is a 1979, I heard that is a good year for these trucks!

·
GMFS Sr. Canadian Member
4,519 Posts
looks to be in good shape for a '79, not that much rust. it looks like it has good glass too!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bed has some, see the whell opening, but oh well!

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Steel wool off that rust off the bumper or paint it, do the same for the mirrors, paint the wheels (maybe black) and put you some fender flares on to cover that rust :rocking:

Just threw in a black stripe .. looks sort cool and ties in the flares :D

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Cool, that 351M's heads are WAY too big for any street power if they are the 4bbl ones from the factory. lol You could damn near stick a tennis ball in them. They are basically 351C heads!

Should have a C6 trans, NP205 T-case I believe, 9" rear, D44 soild up front too! You've got a strong driveline if you decide to take that mofo in the trails somewhere.

Aside from that, all the 400M parts will bolt onto that motor so that should open up a good amount of parts if you choose to.

Also, that 351M has a BBF bellhousing sooo... a 429/460 will drop in with almost no effort. :anitoof:

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Hit Man X said:
Cool, that 351M's heads are WAY too big for any street power if they are the 4bbl ones from the factory. lol You could damn near stick a tennis ball in them. They are basically 351C heads!

Should have a C6 trans, NP205 T-case I believe, 9" rear, D44 soild up front too! You've got a strong driveline if you decide to take that mofo in the trails somewhere.

Aside from that, all the 400M parts will bolt onto that motor so that should open up a good amount of parts if you choose to.

Also, that 351M has a BBF bellhousing sooo... a 429/460 will drop in with almost no effort. :anitoof:
My '78 Thunderbird has the 351M and backed by a C6 .. it was my High School car. It was a 2-barrel and only had decent power cause of the weight of the car. My Dad had a '79 F-150 Lariet and I used to drive it some in High School too. I sort wish they had gave me the truck instead of the car :crazy:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I need help! This weekend I already got on eBay and have over $50 worth of stuff coming. I also striped the old rust wheels and painted them white, and got new seat covers for it. Tomorrow I am putting on new mirrors. I need to stop putting money into this POS and start fixing the Silverado!

·
Registered
143 Posts
the late 70's fords are tough trucks, I'm partial to the 78-79 vintage.

if its got carpet, peel it back and check the floors, they rust out first usually. Also check the front cab mounts, crap gets down in the mount area and holds moisture rusting the mount out.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It has a rubber mat. I pulled it weekend and I do have a big hole on each side, so I guess this gives me an excuse to buy a welder and replace those floor boards. I also have carpet on the way.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
1TRUESS said:
It has a rubber mat. I pulled it weekend and I do have a big hole on each side, so I guess this gives me an excuse to buy a welder and replace those floor boards. I also have carpet on the way.
Or a pop rivet gun, some rivets and a piece of sheet metal .. would fix it without spending too much money, plus the carpet will cover it up :D

·
Registered
832 Posts
That is awesome. Those old trucks kick major ass. I wouldnt romp it, just restore it do a 3-4 inch lift and some 33s make it real clean and that would sell. A nice clean old ford will catch some good money.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That pop rivet gun is a good idea!

It already has 33s on it!

I already have 75 dollars worth of stuff coming from Ebay!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts