GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Fullsize New Guy
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. guys, I know very liitle about audio stuff. I am looking to get a new head unit for my '06 CCSB Sierra. Here's what I'd like:

AM/FM
XM
CD/MP3/WMA
Maybe IPOD capable

Would like to maintain use of my steering wheel controls.
Any thing else to look for/think about?
Any ideas or suggestions for some models to look for.....

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I could be wrong but I don't think you can use the steering controls will work with any aftermarket deck. For your other features I would look into pioneer I've always been pleased with there performance and ease of use.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I could be wrong but I don't think you can use the steering controls will work with any aftermarket deck. For your other features I would look into pioneer I've always been pleased with there performance and ease of use.
You can with some not sure what exactly you need or what unit it is but I remember seeing threads about some where people were able to maintain steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
999 Posts
i have an Alpine CDA-9811 in my 93, and just put a Pioneer DEH-P3900MP in my 92. for the $139 i spent on the Pioneer, its a great little head unit. no steering wheel controls, but it will do everything else you're looking for one to do. the Alpine i bought a few years ago, i believe it was in the $270 range. both Alpine and Pioneer make a quality product. IIRC, Alpine is the only one who makes units compatible with the steering wheel controls.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
the 4900 is really nice! 2 line display for iPod and sat radio, F,R,and S rca outs, sat radio and cd changer controls(as well as other stuff on the IP bus), steering wheel control ability, aux input, and high speed iPod with the cable

the 5900 right above it is nice also but adds the ability to add the bluetooth box

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
For Steering Wheel Controls your deck needs to come with a "Wired Remote" in put... Alot of pioneers come with it...
Not exactly. That's true, but there are other ways of making that work. PAC and Peripheral both make steering wheel interfaces and the Peripheral doesn't require a remote input. It uses an emitter.

·
9,823 Posts
yup the SWI-X will work as long as the radio has the ability to be controled by an IR remote

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
the 4900 is really nice! 2 line display for iPod and sat radio, F,R,and S rca outs, sat radio and cd changer controls(as well as other stuff on the IP bus), steering wheel control ability, aux input, and high speed iPod with the cable

the 5900 right above it is nice also but adds the ability to add the bluetooth box
I just got the 5900...i'll vouch for it...good little unit if your not looking for anything too crazy. Only complaint would be the joystick style volume knob, but hell, I'm typically using the remote anyways. Not recommending it per se...just saying you wouldn't be dissappointed with it:imo.

·
Fullsize New Guy
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I kinda like the alpine, but when I look on crutchfield, it says that I need a "GMOS-01 Class II Data Bus interface" since I have ON-Star and my door chimes go thru the radio.
Don't really care about the On-Star crap since it's expired now anyway, and I was actually thinking about loading down that antenna, so big brother isn't watching me, but will that also disable my XM antenna? The alpine also says "You'll lose your factory XM capability if you replace your factory radio."

·
9,823 Posts
you loce factory XM because the factory XM tuner cant be hooked up to an aftermarket deck currently. If you need the dash kit wiring harness and stuff like that let me know

1,798 Posts
i have the 4900i, great deck for the price and it's simple to use, liked it so much i bought another one to put in my dads car

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
I kinda like the alpine, but when I look on crutchfield, it says that I need a "GMOS-01 Class II Data Bus interface" since I have ON-Star and my door chimes go thru the radio.
Don't really care about the On-Star crap since it's expired now anyway, and I was actually thinking about loading down that antenna, so big brother isn't watching me, but will that also disable my XM antenna? The alpine also says "You'll lose your factory XM capability if you replace your factory radio."
That's gonna happen with any radio. You can ditch the On-Star, and you're gonna lose the factory XM. You can get an XM interface for the Alpine for under $100 that controls through the Alpine head unit. I think the 9883 is steering wheel remote ready. That means it has the input on the back of the radio that's the size of a headphone jack. For that, you'd use the PAC model that Forklift suggested. As long as you don't have Blose, you can use a standard harness, but you'll have to get switched power for the radio at the fusebox on the left side of the dash.

·
9,823 Posts
werd those xm direct are only 50 bucks
yeah the Terk piece is, but then you still need the Pioneer adaptor (or Alpine or kenwood or whatever radio your doing)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts