GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it looks like i'll be upgrading my steering soon. Between FTS and Cognito's what do you think is a better product? If there pretty much the same, then which costs less? I want your alls opinons. Thanks.

·
OG Member
4,862 Posts
Id go with Cognito tie rods since you are running their lift kit. Not that it matters but Id just keep it all the same brand.

·
|=====TK=====|
523 Posts
Don't know the difference, but my Cognito setup has been great.
-TK

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
cognito i love mine

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Go with Cognito, since you're running their kit.

FTS has a different steering drop down bracket, and they use longer tie rod sleeves. If you went the FTS route, you'd have to modify them by shortening them a little.

Also, the FTS heimed steering ends require that you drill into your spindle. Cognito's product should be a direct bolt-on without any drilling.

·
Fresno State Bulldog
5,708 Posts
Anyone know if I would be able to use the Cognito heim steering or will I have to get FTS's?? I'd rather not drill into my knuckle, but I guess I will if I have to....thanks :D

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Anyone know if I would be able to use the Cognito heim steering or will I have to get FTS's?? I'd rather not drill into my knuckle, but I guess I will if I have to....thanks :D
I wanted to do the same mod on my old truck. I emailed Justin at Cognito about it, and he said that they would work. He said he could modify the tie rod sleeve to fit the FTS kit. I think he said it would add like $30 to the price.

I'd email Justin about it to get the specifics.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I love my Cognito's

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
i think MotoHead is running the Cognito kit on his superlift and he had to drill into his knuckle....:think:
I have the Superlift and I had to drill out my knuckles but it was barely anything. Once you get them you will never go back anyway.

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
No drilling was needed and I love mine. All Cognito parts here.

·
boogity boogity
995 Posts
No drilling with the cognitos on my fabtech. One of the best things i have ever done, i laugh at other trucks inferior tie rods!

·
OG Member
4,862 Posts
You have to drill if you are running factory knuckles but aftermarket knuckles do not require drilling. And like GREENSIERRA said its not a huge hole you are drilling its just slightly bigger than the stock hole. Id give you the size but I cant remember.

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
Get the cognito kit. I have had zero problems with mine and its a cake walk to install. Didnt have to drill anything either. Its all mad to fit together. The heim studs are tapered anyways so they will fit a variety of applications without much work.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
head nothing but good things about cognitos, not heard much about fts tho, im with yall about keeping the same brand alike.

·
Rollin' in the BIG HOG
1,316 Posts
I would recommend running the Cognito kit with your setup. Since Cognito uses the factory centerlink you would have to fab the u-shaped bracket that threads into the factory centerlink as well as shorten the FTS sleeves (tubes).

My 3rd Coast kit is identical to an FTS kit and I actually fabbed my own heim steering kit. I purchased Aurora Bearing Heim Joints with the Teflon liner, purchased tapered studs for my knuckles from Bleitzkreig offroad, fabbed 1 1/4 tubing with inserts for my heim joints, plus purchased safety washers and high misalignment spacers where needed! I actually made 2 of these kits while I was making them just to have a spare set. I've never used the spare set and the steering is still perfect!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts