GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know i have it, i know i need to get a new driveshaft beacause of it. But what exactly is autotrack? :anitoof:

If this is a repost then please delete, thank you! :ninja:

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
its an AWD mode. it sends power to the front wheels at a different rate then classic 4WD when it senses slippage.

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Its Gay BS! Well to me anyway. But i still wish everything came with a SFA and Manual locking hubs.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Josh said:
its an AWD mode. it sends power to the front wheels at a different rate then classic 4WD when it senses slippage.
but its not really AWD, because its not sending torque to the front all the time.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
ibthumpin said:
but its not really AWD, because its not sending torque to the front all the time.
true. by saying that i meant that the front tires kick in when it senses slippage.

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
makes more sense to only have them kick in when the other wheels are slipping, no need to have them running all the time. :imo

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
Silverado said:
makes more sense to only have them kick in when the other wheels are slipping, no need to have them running all the time. :imo
even in 2hi one of the front is still locked in causing the driveshaft to spin.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Josh said:
even in 2hi one of the front is still locked in causing the driveshaft to spin.
nope, the tcase is whats spinning the front shaft even when in 2wd. Even with the front end jacked up off the ground, you still cant rotate the front shaft by hand.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
ibthumpin said:
nope, the tcase is whats spinning the front shaft even when in 2wd. Even with the front end jacked up off the ground, you still cant rotate the front shaft by hand.
i did when i was taking the DS out. it was just kinda stiff. but, all my seals and bearings only had 3K mi on them to.

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wait, should i be able to spin the front shaft when the truck is 2HI and in park :think: cuz i can and its easy?

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
willyswanter said:
Yes, your transfer case disengages in two high and the thermal actuator in the front axle is disengaged.
yes, that is true, but when you drive, one of your front hubs is still locked in all the time with the driveshaft right?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
No, if only one hub is locked it will send power to the spider gear it is attached to which in turn turns the two spider gears attached to the carrier, which in turn send power to the path of least resistance, which is the other spider gear attached to the other shaft. Since it is disconnected from the other wheel, it is essentially in neutral thus it is the path of lease resistance. It's just like if you jack up the back of a truck with an open differential and you spin one tire, the other tire turns in the opposite direction and the driveshaft stays still.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
so what makes the driveshaft spin while you are in 2hi?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
The oil in the transfercase causes a viscous coupling between the intermediate shaft and the shift collar that shifts the front end in and out. If you were to grab it with your hand it would stop but since there is little to no resistance it spins.

Now if this is on an Autotrac truck and you have it in Auto 4wd it will spin all the time since the front end is engaged. But if you are in 2hi it is not engaged.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.