GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 k1500 ext cab short box. I want to lift it and I was wondering what kit is the best quality? What does everybody think of Dick Cepek lifts the 6.5" lift? And what size tires can I run with a 6 inch lift or the 6.5 inch. How hard is it to install the kit?

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
I would get the DC kit, never run one myself but all I have heard is good. I would run a 35x12.5 on a 16x10 rim, perfect fit. Not big enough to rub bad but just right. Its not that bad of an instal IF you are mechanically inclined and have the right tools. If (no offence) you dont know what the hell your doing dont try it because you can mess up your truck and more importantly, injure yourself. Unloading torsion bars etc... is something you should be very careful with.

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
I'd say go for the FT 6.5 with 33's on a 15x10...strong as hell kit and I think 6" lifts look better with 33's

·
Registered
7 Posts
Get the DC I had it on my 95 silverado with a 3" body and 36x14.50 M/T Baha Belted. It was a nice lift IMO and the install wasnt that bad i did it by myself for the most part and that was the first lift i had ever done.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
DC.. The only kit I would run on an OBS IFS.
Get it, you will love it.!

·
2,451 Posts
southernz71 had an encounter with fullthrottle

southernz71 on fsc said:
F**K FT
I just got off the phone with them! Wanted to find out about the kit, pricing, shipping. Guy tells me $3250.00 for the 9.5" kit shipped. I said do you want to know what truck it fits on, "NO, its $3250 shipped, either way!" I ask him whats included ..... "everything!" Every question I had for him was answered in 1 word, I asked to speak with someone else that could better help me......"hold on," then he hangs up on me.....

If I'm going to be spending 3K, atleast act like you want my money.

Why on the site does it have $2400, but this guy quoted me $3250? (another 1 he couldn't answer)

Anyhow, whats the next kit in line for 9"? NOT FT or Whiplash?

Thanks for the help
they are d*cks

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know I don't carry much weight with you guys yet but have to agree about FT. When I was shopping for a lift for my truck, I gave them a ring. Not impressed. Keep in mind that in my biz I get to talk to many manufacturers on all kinds of issues. Some are terrible and others are great to deal with. FT is not on my keeper list. also, if you talk to a few of the "professional" off-roading shops that do serious installations, they don't have nice things to say about FT or whiplash.

Anyways, FWIW, you might want to also check out CST Performance suspensions (www.californiasupertrucks.com) nice kits with a great reputation. Not the cheapest but very well built-kits. I almost went with a CST kit but finally decided on an RCD kit....

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
I don't think anyone can question how strong FT is. I have seen them go through hell and back and still hold up.

·
6,656 Posts
Ahhh Adam has brought up something I mentioned a long time ago on FSC and everyone told me that "it didnt matter". Truth is it doesnt matter much for everyday driving, but if your lift takes a head on impact it makes a HUGE difference. They are just like compression struts (connect your rear subframe to the tranny crossmember) - They are somethning you want to have. Now the weird thing is SOME FT kits have them, a tubular one just like cognito. I have seen them in person, I dont know if they recently added this or what. They arnt essential on a 6", 9" it would be good to have them and I would not buy a 12"+ without them. There is alot of leverage acting upon the mounting point on that big of a kit, and having it sheer off is not unheard of.

·
6,656 Posts
Yeah ive only seen 1 in person and also saw a pic of 1 somewhere, maybe it was a custom job but looked like it was rigth from FT. Honestly for everyday driving its no biggie, the LCA connects the 2 parts and acts as one. It seems more significant that you might think to have it, why alot of kits dont (save money). Ive been doing tons of reading and research on suspension design and drew some things out and pretty much found out that most likely your going to have major failure in other parts of the suspension before you were actually able to fold back the front drop cradle, assuming that your using the bolts to hold it on provided with the kit etc... I mean dont get me wrong Im with you, I would want it there if I had the option, just dont want to make people think that their FT lift or whatever kit they have isnt safe since it doesnt have the crossmembers.

·
2,451 Posts
twisted's owner is a member of fsc and he says that his subframe is so strong , that you would bend your frame before you would bend the subframe. What do yall think of that?

·
6,656 Posts
This is true, where the front cradle meets the frame is the weak point I was talking about. The cognito design takes some stress off of that one point and spreads it out to help matters. The only lift Ive seen where the actual lift failed (other than from just beating on it to where almost anything woudl fail) is on a superlift, thats an entirely different subject that Im not going to touch right now.

·
Proud Chevy Owner
859 Posts
Wll i wasnt a big cognito fan at all until last week when i went to the extreme offroad expo. Cognito had a spot there with a couple of trucks and some suspension compenets on racks. Thos kits are some of the strongest ive ever seen. And from what I saw the same quility goes into their components like pitman arm brackets, a0arms, and tie rods. If i was to raise my ifs 10" it would probably be cognito or CST. These are the only ones i would trust offroad.

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
:rocking:

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
The DC 6" stage II should work well. I can't remember anybody on here or FSC that doesn't like their DC kit. I wouldn't recomend CST or Cognito unless you really plan on beating on the truck. For normal use the DC stage II kit should prove to be strong enough.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts