GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered 20s last week and had them mounted w/ 275/45s and plan on adding a 4/6 drop later this week. Well I got them on the truck and it looks like there is no way in hell they will tuck. So the place I got the wheels from are gonna let me swap them out with a different wheel. My question is what makes the wheel sit in more inside the wheel well.

Ps: the wheels that I put on had a +14 offset and a 5 1/4 backspace on a 8.5 width.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Offset means how much the wheel is offset from the middle of the hoop. Backspacing is the distance between the rear of the wheel to the mounting pads. So you cant either choose one or the other since they go hand in hand. Just different ways of measuring a wheel.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
When you go higher in backspacing the offset will increase as well.

·
Resident Metal Head
5,527 Posts
Offset and backspacing are the same sort of calculation. Offset is calculated by the center of the rim while the backspace is calculate from the back of the rim.

If they have the same model rims (8.5" width) but around a +32mm offset / 6" backspace you would be fine.

·
not low enough
8,703 Posts
if ur talkin "tucked" as in bagged. try and get a 40+.. but if ur lowered and want the wheel tucked as in flush with sides of truck get 32+ or higher. alot of confusion. because in my head when someone says tucked i think tucked as in up inside the fender layd out. but SOME members are here say tucked referring to stayin inside of the fender when wheel is straight.

·
Registered
111 Posts
To figure backspace out here is some quick math

Take your wheels for instance 8.5"

Add 1" to the advertised width (8.5)

9.5"

Now divide overall width in half

Here is where your backspace comes into play +/-

your wheels are +14

take the centerline and add or subtract the offset ( in your case add )

4.75 + 14mm (.55") = 5.30"

The real question here is sitting flush or tucking??

4/6 drop?? My guess would be tucking so you would need a LOT more than +14, more like +35 - +40.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
From the stickied thread here,

8.5"
Offset:+12mm or higher
Backspacing:5.25" or higher

So shouldnt his tuck?

·
Registered
111 Posts
my question is... When installing the drop spindles do they cause the rim to push out like lift spindles or do they suck in? Perhaps they dont move either way?? Just wondering for my own knowledge.

If by chance they do tend to pull the wheel in a little then 5.25" may work :dunno:

·
pootin' soot
3,510 Posts
Some drop spindles push out others dont move at all. Majority of aftermarket spindles will push the track width out.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From the stickied thread here,

8.5"
Offset:+12mm or higher
Backspacing:5.25" or higher

So shouldnt his tuck?
This was the exact chart I used to order my wheels, this is my first lowered truck and I don't really know $hit about the lowering side. I made the move from lifted trucks.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my question is... When installing the drop spindles do they cause the rim to push out like lift spindles or do they suck in? Perhaps they dont move either way?? Just wondering for my own knowledge.

If by chance they do tend to pull the wheel in a little then 5.25" may work :dunno:
I'm guessing they turn in, but these still don't look like the wont rub the outer fenders

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All in all meaning you would want a higher offset and a larger backspace? Or am I just completely got what I think is correct jacked up? Haha

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
in return loosing the size of the lip? i want a decent lip but more important i dont want and rubbing issues. i want a black wheels with a chrome lips and cant find a damn wheels anywhere.
17s, 18s, 20s, 22s, 24s????

What wheels do you have now? What style to you want? how much do you want to spend?

·
I likez Suspensionz
4,822 Posts
+12 is the absolute lowest offset you can look for on 8.5 inch rims that will not make the wheels stick out. My chart is made from using belltech spindles so the extra amount of push out is already factored.

Also the tire size is what will be the major factor on rubbing. If the wheels are closer to the +12 minimum, then you will have less tire options that will work without fender modification.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts