GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
GMFS founding member
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ever since i first learned of truck customization, i have been amazed at the fine line between something that is really cool and something that is just hideous. what is the dividing line? surely personal preference has something to do with it, but there seems to be a general consensus, at least on here, about what is acceptable and what is not. to be honest i used to think lowered trucks were retarded. why? because i'd never seen a truck like the trucks i see here. yes, in western PA, i've never seen a clean drop or a truck that wasn't rolling on stockers or didn't have clear taillights and a spoiler. our meet last week was the first time i'd seen a nicely done custom job in person. yeah, hovi you don't get out much do you. there's not much of a street scene in western PA, so you're probably right.

now what made me want to ask this question? i saw a customized sierra at the auto parts store today. it was a 99-02 RCSB 4x4, blue in color. it had:

generic mud tires, looked like 285/75, white lettering out, on stock aluminum wheels: forgiveable, but if i bought tires called "trail dominators" i would not advertise it.
chrome bedrails: not something i would do, but why are they hated so badly?
lund stick-on hoodscoops: yuck. looked really bad, imo. cheap and fake way to customize your hood. even if you don't have a functional scoop at least it's not held on with 3M tape. i really hate these, almost every truck i see around here has them.
clear taillights: i am biased towards stock taillights in any situation, but these were screaming "gay" from across the parking lot.
chrome fender trim: chrome gone wrong. i don't know why it looks so bad but it just does.
dual exhaust: had potential until he bolted on 4" chrome tips. any exhaust system with chrome tips and/or tips that are bolted on has no credibility in my book. welded on stainless tips are the only way to go. add custom points if they're handmade.

add some cheap tint and ventvisors and other stuff and you had a "nice truck" in some people's eyes. around here those mods would be comparable to what we think of a nice truck like fullthrottle dan's or 1truess. i am not comparing your trucks to this POS, what i am saying is that people around here look at the chromed out sierra like i looked at your trucks at the meet, which is sad.

so i gotta ask, what makes mods acceptable, and what makes them tasteless? this whole thing is just fascinating to me. i saw a ranger with cab clearance lights, but then again i put clearance lights on my heavy half. what do you think?

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
cummin soon huh? good luck with that hovis, i wanna see one of those, as far as your post? I think you cant just learn what is/isnt tasteful, its just a maturity issue mostly :imo

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Badassilverado said:
In Houston it's about split, you see alot of garbage but at the same time there are alot of trucks done "right." Usually any bolt-ons take away alot from a truck IMO.
:word: big time. Bolt on do dads and widgets are generally tacky. Vent visors, bug shields and bed rails, i can understand on a stock truck since they can serve a purpose. I'd never put them on my truck though. 9 times out of 10 if you keep things simple and don't clutter up your truck with accesories from the local autozove or pep boys you can build a real nice truck.

·
LOW BLOW CUSTOMS
238 Posts
yup, i used to have a cool truck, it was a 1993 sonoma lowered 2-4 with some bolt on wire wheels, a texas tail and some ricer inspired racing stripes, painted handles, and some WACK vinyl graphics. it was cool in 1998, but not today, now it's all abotu cleanliness,

my new ride 1996 sc swb is going to be clean, and my main focus is my airride, nothing too tasteless, nothing too radical

best part about my modifications, i BUILT IT MYSELF, all by myself, don't shop out work, when i roll in somewhere and someone asks man, who did that for you, the answer will be ME, and i have the scars to prove it!!!!!

·
internet bigot®
4,016 Posts
what i see around here alot are trucks with 20's and chromed out bush gaurds... im like... WHAT THE FUCK!! it looks so fuckin retarded... then it'll be with a 2" drop in the back or something.... with the rail bars... its so gay looking.. it slike.. um.. you going offroading in that? :anitoof: :slap:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I saw a Lincoln Navigator, with 20's, a color-matched front end replacement (like on DE's truck), a big warn winch, and offroad lights today. No lift. It didn't even look like a 4x4 really. :wtf:

Theres alot of those trucks with chrome brush guards and 20's...i can't figure out why.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
Theres alot of those trucks with chrome brush guards and 20's...i can't figure out why.
only in texas :read:

i totally agree. i hate to say this, but pretty much everyone's gardener has one of thoose "street" trucks out of the early 90s. A body kit, spoiler, all rolling on 16 with 35 series rubber. Then some cheesy mural or the classic "chebrolet" painted across the tailgate.

But if you wanna customize it, and you think its cool then go for it. At the end of the day, you were the one who paid for it, and you have to live with it. Some people think they are the shit driving around with APC hyper white bulbs, i personally don't own them and i think they look cheesy, but then again, its not my truck

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
Whifflebat said:
At least our trucks sit level over here :D

And we have electricity ALL summer long :D
it was 78 degrees here today... it was HOT today :D

·
Banned
487 Posts
i didnt realize chrome is hated that much... you guys are guna hate my truck!

it will have a diamond plated over the bed tool box, 4 foot CB antennas, CB, big front bumper, diamond plated bedside protector thingys, and its alredy got lund steps on it. :anitoof:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Chrome is alrite on the old trucks, but these days its just getting cheesy. My dads burban has all kinds of chrome on it and it looks good. Mine has very very very little chrome and I love it .

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
excellent post hovis. to be completely honest, living in south texas you are brought up that lowering trucks is a mexican trait and chrome is too. i never really saw a clean lowered truck until i went to heatwave a few years back. i seriously never thought i would own one. there are some mods that people think are gay, that i would do. such as the cab clearance lights. that is something i like. i dont care about anyone else. my grille guard. here in TX, heavy duty bumpers are just normal. that and i work for one of the largest heavy duty accessory manufacturers.
truck tastes differ from region to region, and age plays a huge part. i hate to say ethnicity, but that plays some factor (not genralizing at all, just making observations from around here). there are many biases and stereotypes that will probably never die. but like it has been said above, build your truck for you, and dont worry about anyone elses opinion.

·
Changed my life
1,218 Posts
I hate to say it, but the West coast generally just has better taste. :anitoof:

Most of the time, less is more. If you're adding more shit to a truck than you're taking off of it, it's gonna be ugly. :pow:

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
LowBlue02 said:
I hate to say it, but the West coast generally just has better taste. :anitoof:

Most of the time, less is more. If you're adding more shit to a truck than you're taking off of it, it's gonna be ugly. :pow:

westcoast has better taste? where is APC based at? :think:

less is more? that explains the 16" stockers then huh? :evil: :crazy: :kidding:

·
Changed my life
1,218 Posts
Wow, you know I deleted "Except for wheels" with that statement, thinking that maybe FOR ONCE someone wouldn't talk shit.

Don't be mad because my "less is more" philosophy is the antithesis to your truck. :D

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
LowBlue02 said:
Wow, you know I deleted "Except for wheels" with that statement, thinking that maybe FOR ONCE someone wouldn't talk shit.

Don't be mad because my "less is more" philosophy is the antithesis to your truck. :D
LMFAO. just baggin on ya cause for once i dont have stock wheels :LOL: i see your point. i like the clean look to, but the grilleguards put $$$ in my pocket, and food on my table, so i gots to have one. :rocking:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Josh said:
LMFAO. just baggin on ya cause for once i dont have stock wheels :LOL: i see your point. i like the clean look to, but the grilleguards put $$$ in my pocket, and food on my table, so i gots to have one. :rocking:

Besides, I have my functional use for my grillguard, running over hippies :D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts