GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a good deal on a 6.0 long block and I was wondering what parts aren't transferable from 5.3 to the 6.0?

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
theres not much at all thats not. You can use all the same accessories, etc etc. All the external stuff will swap over...they have a different block and are bored out more, but i think everything else is pretty much the same.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will the same wiring harness work?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes. With the exception of the oil pressure sender. It might be different.
Nope! they're the same. Same part No.

I just did a `02 4.8 to a `01 6.0 swap, EVERYTHING swapped over.

All accessories, all bolts, senders, all wiring . . .

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts

its still possible that it could be different on different models...

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
The oil pressure senders are different on the later year blocks, but you can take the one from your original block and swap it to the new one. Other than that, they should be exactly the same.

The thermostat housing changed in 03 also I believe, 03+ has a smaller t-stat opening. You can reuse your original WP though and be fine.

Internally, in 05 the 6.0L motors got some LS2 parts. The cam bearings are different (Clevite# CH23 in 05+, which is the LS2 bearing). Earlier years were CH10. The internal diameter of the bearing is the same, but externally they are different. 05+ also got LS2 timing set and LS2 connecting rods.

Externally, as said above, everything swaps over.

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts

Well BUD! Thats a tad wrong. My 04 6.0 that I dropped in my 99 had a DIFFERENT sender. Sorry! There are in fact 2 different sensors. Go look. Or I can give you the part numbers.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Well BUD! Thats a tad wrong. My 04 6.0 that I dropped in my 99 had a DIFFERENT sender. Sorry! There are in fact 2 different sensors. Go look. Or I can give you the part numbers.
Early year (99-02 I think) have a 1-wire pressure sender. 03+ has a 2 or 3 wire, can't remember which for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts