GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HPIM0943.jpg

Im on the wall of what is the best method of coating my rock sliders. I doubt very much that they will get used what they were designed for more than once or twice a year anymore. Im moving to Detroit so I wont be doing much wheeling. Any recommendations? I kinda want to colormatch with automotive paint because it would look nice but a black coating doesnt look bad either.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
IMO rustoleum paint is hard to beat. Plus its a cheap touch up way to fix them after they get scratched up.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer + heavy single or 2 thin coats of Rustoleum Flat Black Enamel + No Slip Tape on any surface you'd use as a step = long lasting wonderfullness.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer + heavy single or 2 thin coats of Rustoleum Flat Black Enamel + No Slip Tape on any surface you'd use as a step = long lasting wonderfullness.
Ive already got it primed with Omni Sealer Primer after I sanded and prepped it. Any idea if rustoleum will work with the omni primer?

Oh and where do you get the no-slip tape at? I wanted to use it but wasnt sure what to get or where to get it

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
No clue how it bonds to other paints, for the tape I just bought a roll at Home-Depot. Lowes and OSH should both stock it as well.

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,659 Posts
my buddy had his Line-X'd on his Taco, I'd ask him how that worked out but he got screwed on gears before his trip to Telico so he didn't get to take his truck

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
rustoleum gets my vote for easy touch ups, and get the role of no slip tape bggrnchvy was talking about, ive used a few roles on various stuff, tractor supply carries it also

but ya know since youre moving you might as well just give me the sliders:hmm:

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
POR-15 is my vote, it'svery strong paint. It's almost like a thin sheet of rubber once it's on there. Very hard for it to come off. You could easily do touch ups with a paint brush.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
My buddyt wanted to line x his on his toca but he went to like 4 shops and they would no touch it back up for free so that stuff can start to add up if you touch them up alot compared to a $5 can of the rust stuff.

·
Registered
144 Posts
rustoleum is the way to go i think. Use the black enamel stuff. I just painted my frame that way and it turned out looking like stock. The engine enamel is really resistant and holds up to heat and scratches well. I thought about line x or another bed liner spray but was told that dirt and mud loves to stick to it. my bro has sliders and he usually only has to touch up the part where he steps on. Boots tend to rub the paint off.

·
JEEP JUNKIE
1,480 Posts
I like the rustoleum simi gloss. I got it in a pint and sprayed with a gun and it has helled up nice for nearly a year.

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
POR-15 is over rated. :imo

Go with the Rustoleum.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rustoleum Hammered in the spray bomb variety holds up really well and would be really easy to repair scratches.

And why are you moving to detroit?

graduated and will be engineering for GM now

I think I may just use rustoleum, I have a few quarts of it left over anyways. I just have to make sure it will adhere to the primer I already have on them

·
DisgruntleD
3,822 Posts
graduated and will be engineering for GM now

I think I may just use rustoleum, I have a few quarts of it left over anyways. I just have to make sure it will adhere to the primer I already have on them
Where at in the Detroit area, I just moved from there so I can point you to some happening night spots if you want. Got any questions or anything shoot me a pm, I'd be glad to help.

And good luck with the new job.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Don't do line-ex if you plan on dragging them over stuff ever. Patchs Sr's are line-ex'd and i know if he really used them the line-ex would peel off like a banana. Cheap paint, then when you use them like me, touch-up's are cheap, quick, and painless.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts