GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 2002 chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 LS and i bought a 3 inch torsion key lift and cranked them all the way up it started to pull cv axle out of transfer case had to uninstall lift and replace cv axle is there anything i can do to make this lift work or do i throw it away and spend the 1000 bucks on a rough country lift?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
3 inch is just too much, 2 inch is about the most you can run on stock suspension. Consider it a lesson learned and do some more research next time.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
You can run the same keys just only crank about 2 inches, no more. If you’re looking for more than 2 inches of lift you can look into body lifts (they come in lots of heights) or look into an actual lift kit, there are also many options for those as well. How much height do you want and what size tires are you looking to run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,021 Posts
Good rule of thumb is if you have to crank more than the stock keys allow 1 of 2 things are happening. Either you have worn bars or you don't need to go any higher

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Rough country, but I believe it only drops the front diff about 4.5” and you have to crank your torsion keys to get to 6” of lift, leaving you with only about .5” more of safe adjustment. If you want 6” of lift and the ability to adjust 2 more inches then you should look into a different lift. What size tires are you looking to fit?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have 33s now and ill I'll probably go to 35 max. So your daying the rough country 6 inch lift isnt really 6 inch?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok can that lift be installed in a home garage or do i need a lift that lifts the truck above you like in the videos?

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
A good setup for your truck (keeping it cheap) to fit 35s would be the 6” rough country and add a small body lift, a 1.5” would do it and as long as you’re not running a super wide rim then you should be fine.

Some lift companies take advantage of the fact that IFS is slightly adjustable. So they advertise a lift as a 6” but the brackets only drop the differential about 4.5-5” then you have to crank your torsion bars to achieve the remaining lift. On NBS trucks 2” is all you want to crank your torsion bars.

For example if you bought a true 10” lift that dropped your diff 10”, you could still crank your tbars 2” for a max of 12” of lift. Super lift advertises a 6-7.5 lift. It drops the diff 6” and you crank your tbars 1.5” to achieve the 7.5” lift.
I hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts