GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so im just gettin started what are the disadvanteges and advanteges on lifting ur truck...

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I was lowered, then went lifted and lowered it shortly after. Here's why I was sick and tired of my lift:
Horrible gasmileage
No handling
No performance
Terrible turning radius
Shit wore out quicker

It looks cool, but that's it. If you wheel, that's badass, but if you don't then your truck loses all it's balls. I even had the 5.3L and it was no fun. I had a 2wd with 305/70/16's so it wasn't even a big lift.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Advantages: Better clearance for larger tires, which in return improves ground clearance, which in return offers better offroad capability; They look cool.

Disadvantages: Expensive; Larger tires wear your suspension and drivetrain out faster than stock tires.

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
I was lowered, then went lifted and lowered it shortly after. Here's why I was sick and tired of my lift:
Horrible gasmileage
No handling
No performance
Terrible turning radius
Shit wore out quicker

It looks cool, but that's it. If you wheel, that's badass, but if you don't then your truck loses all it's balls. I even had the 5.3L and it was no fun. I had a 2wd with 305/70/16's so it wasn't even a big lift.
And looking cool is really the only advantage to lowering one too.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
And looking cool is really the only advantage to lowering one too.
Better handling

More aerodynamic for speeds over 100(trust me most of us know)

All the same cosmetic advantages as lifting a truck, but no loss in power, or turning radius(usually)

There are definantly disadvantages to lowering though.

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Better handling

All the same cosmetic advantages as lifting a truck, but no loss in power, or turning radius(usually)

My turning radius sucks as is. But there is advantages/disadvantegs to any mod you do.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Advantages: Better clearance for larger tires, which in return improves ground clearance, which in return offers better offroad capability; They look cool.

Disadvantages: Expensive; Larger tires wear your suspension and drivetrain out faster than stock tires.
With my truck, i disagree with those disadvantages. Currently, my truck turns WAY better than it did stock, has more power (mostly from going from being undergeared to almost overgeared), and mileage is no worse than it has ever been...plus the d60 handles those dinky 36s with no problems...and i don't really have any money into the tires either, and they were damn near new when i got them...Given, this is a very atypical case...but it is possible to improve the truck all around when lifting it, depending on the truck and other "supporting" mods.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
With my truck, i disagree with those disadvantages. Currently, my truck turns WAY better than it did stock, has more power (mostly from going from being undergeared to almost overgeared), and mileage is no worse than it has ever been...plus the d60 handles those dinky 36s with no problems...and i don't really have any money into the tires either, and they were damn near new when i got them...Given, this is a very atypical case...but it is possible to improve the truck all around when lifting it, depending on the truck and other "supporting" mods.
Just wanted to point out that you should feel lucky that your truck defies basic laws of physics and geometry.

Unless you modified your turning radius from stock, there is no way in hell you have a better turning radius. Your tires stick out further from stock making your steering radius much wider, therefor decreasing turning capability.

Also, I'm not sure how you can be getting the same gas mileage. Larger tires require more effort, and with those 5.13's or whatever you're running. That's gonna be hell for your truck at highway speeds.

I'd love to here you explain your logic....

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Just wanted to point out that you should feel lucky that your truck defies basic laws of physics and geometry.

Unless you modified your turning radius from stock, there is no way in hell you have a better turning radius. Your tires stick out further from stock making your steering radius much wider, therefor decreasing turning capability.

Also, I'm not sure how you can be getting the same gas mileage. Larger tires require more effort, and with those 5.13's or whatever you're running. That's gonna be hell for your truck at highway speeds.

I'd love to here you explain your logic....
I would to because he still thinks that 2" drop shackles only give 1" of drop at the most too.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I would to because he still thinks that 2" drop shackles only give 1" of drop at the most too.
That theory is somewhat accurate. If the shackle were only 2" bigger than stock then it would only lower the rear a tiny bit over 1"

You have to think about in terms of simple geometry. Both sides would theoretically have to be lowered 2" before the center would see a 2" drop.

Think of it as a triangle with the smaller side being 2", the hypotenuse being 54"(or whatever the length of a leaf spring in), and the 3rd side being level ground.

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
Plain and simple.

Lifted trucks are bad ass and look way better than any lowered pos :imo

You know whats even better? Rolling up behind a lowered truck with 10" or more lift and watching them flip the mirror, try to dodge the headlights and basically just get pissed.

Rather a lifted 4wd too that way your always prepared.........

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Plain and simple.

Lifted trucks are bad ass and look way better than any lowered pos :imo

You know whats even better? Rolling up behind a lowered truck with 10" or more lift and watching them flip the mirror, try to dodge the headlights and basically just get pissed.

Rather a lifted 4wd too that way your always prepared.........
I guess that's an opinion. Oh and I don't really have to worry about dicks like you who roll up to me. I just accelerate.......it takes you lifted guys too long to catch up, well most of you.

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
I guess that's an opinion. Oh and I don't really have to worry about dicks like you who roll up to me. I just accelerate.......it takes you lifted guys too long to catch up, well most of you.

Ya you must not have read my sig but thats ok. Glad your happy with your truck.:nono:

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Ya you must not have read my sig but thats ok. Glad your happy with your truck.:nono:
meh, I bet it'd still be close. Your on 37's chief.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Better handling

I highly doubt anybody that buys a fullsize truck is looking for aerodynamics or "good" handling in the first place. These are trucks. Not corvettes. Honestly, I know I'm guilty, but you should never be going anywhere close to 100mph anyway. With a lifted truck a large percentage of the time turning radius doesn't matter much, because if you are making a u-turn, you can simply slow down to the appropriate speed and "hop" the curb. Shit I do that all the time in my sisters stock ZJ. There are plenty of times when a tighter turning radius would be nice, like pulling into a tight parking space, but the ratio of stock turing radius to turing radius with a lift/tires is most likely not going to be high enough to determine whether or not backing up and re-adjusting your turn-in angle will be necessary or not. And come on, really, how difficult is it to back up then pull forward once again?

That said, I do see how the loss in power is annoying, but that's why companies offer aftermarket gears. Also, parts do wear out quicker, but keep an eye on things and don't be an idiot about maintainance and you should have no major problems. That said, shit happens whether you are lifted, lowered, or stock :imo

Bottom line, trucks are built to work and take you places cars can't. Granted they may not be as tough as well all would prefer them to be, but you get my point. A lift(in theory) enables you to gain ground clearance with bigger tires, and thus makes it more capable off-road. Most people who lift their trucks dont' wheel them often, but who cares? They look badass and the disadvantages are very minor when compared to the advantages.

I would NEVER lower my truck. Hitting bottom on speedbumps is not something I enjoy, nor is pulling up to parking curbs and, due to the low hanging front bumper(and thus not being able to pull all the way up), having your truck hang out past where it should in the parking lot. It's also much easier to work on a lifted truck, changing things like pinion seals, oil filters, etc. If lowering is what you prefer, that's cool by me, don't get me wrong here. But there is just something special about a lifted truck. :bowtie:

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I highly doubt anybody that buys a fullsize truck is looking for aerodynamics or "good" handling in the first place. These are trucks. Not corvettes. Honestly, I know I'm guilty, but you should never be going anywhere close to 100mph anyway.
These statements have almost no bearing now a days sorry.

There are plenty of trucks that can outhandle most cars, if built right. The toyota xrunner pulls more g's on the skid pad than a 350z.

Yea they're trucks and not corvettes, so what? There are hundreds of full size chevy trucks that are faster than corvettes.

Just because it's a truck doesn't mean it's supposed to be slow, used as a truck, and not as good as a car. Those are all outdated thoughts.

You can buy a 1999 silverado for $5000, spend another $5000 and have a truck that runs 11's and will beat the hell out of any stock corvette minus the z06.

You can put coil overs on our trucks, and run some sticky tires and sway bars, and handle just as good as half the sport compacts out there.

So let me ask you this...why shouldn't I ever go over 100mph? Is it because it's irresponsible? In my eyes, it's no more irresponsible than a truck that is lifted so high, it can't see other cars. I've seen lifted trucks back over other cars because they were lifted to high. How is that safe and responsible? I never hit triple digits near other motorists so who am I to harm?

I have a relatively stock truck but I've taken it to 120mph. There are guys taking our trucks to 160. A buddy of mine 1slow01z71, is planning on trying to hit 190 in an extended cab that weights over 5000 pounds.

All I'm saying is many of your points are points of the past.

PS-like I said, I've had my truck lifted before so I'm not dogging on lifted trucks, but in my eyes, there are more negatives against lifted trucks than lowered trucks.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
These statements have almost no bearing now a days sorry.

There are plenty of trucks that can outhandle most cars, if built right. The toyota xrunner pulls more g's on the skid pad than a 350z.

Yea they're trucks and not corvettes, so what? There are hundreds of full size chevy trucks that are faster than corvettes.

Just because it's a truck doesn't mean it's supposed to be slow, used as a truck, and not as good as a car. Those are all outdated thoughts.

You can buy a 1999 silverado for $5000, spend another $5000 and have a truck that runs 11's and will beat the hell out of any stock corvette minus the z06.

You can put coil overs on our trucks, and run some sticky tires and sway bars, and handle just as good as half the sport compacts out there.

So let me ask you this...why shouldn't I ever go over 100mph? Is it because it's irresponsible? In my eyes, it's no more irresponsible than a truck that is lifted so high, it can't see other cars. I've seen lifted trucks back over other cars because they were lifted to high. How is that safe and responsible? I never hit triple digits near other motorists so who am I to harm?

I have a relatively stock truck but I've taken it to 120mph. There are guys taking our trucks to 160. A buddy of mine 1slow01z71, is planning on trying to hit 190 in an extended cab that weights over 5000 pounds.

All I'm saying is many of your points are points of the past.

PS-like I said, I've had my truck lifted before so I'm not dogging on lifted trucks, but in my eyes, there are more negatives against lifted trucks than lowered trucks.
Points taken.

However, there is a difference between lowering your truck, and dumping 5,000 into modifications. And yes, going 120 mph is much more dangerous than backing into a car at 5 mph. Let's see, loss of life, or a $500 deductable? One tiny thing goes wrong at 120 mph and you are dead. Blowout, ball-joint, etc. Hell we've all done it, I've been in a 68 Charger at 135 plus before, and it was awesome. I'm pretty positive I've gotten my 97 up to around 110-115 before, but it was only for a short period of time. That's great for your buddy trying to get to 190 mph, I admire that, really. And I'm not saying wheeling is practical either. Driving your vehicle on trails that lead to dents, broken drivetrain components and overall just beating on your truck is by no means practical.

That said, I LOVE to do it, and am willing to spend every dollar I can spare to make my truck that much stronger or more capable.

In general I believe a lifted truck looks 10x better than a lowered truck, but that is just my personal opinion, and am in no way attempting to force that on anybody else. Nothing wrong with modifying your truck to suit your own likes.

To me it's rather sad that trucks have outgrown their working days....

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
lets just agree to disagree:shake:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts