GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 ecsb Z71 with only 30K miles in like new condition. I am thinking of removing the factory fender flares on it so if I get a set of oem 20" rims for it it will look better without the big gap look the fenderflares leave without rims that stick out more thn factory. Now what should I expect to be under the fenderflares when I remove them. Should they be any rust? The truck was only drivin in salt the first 3 years I had it and it hasn't seen salt since. I always kept the salt sparyed off of it but I couldn't get behind the flares. Will it leave marks on the paint where the flares rubbed the paint? Could it be buffed out? How hard will removing flares be. Will I be able to reinstall them one day if I want to? Any help is appeciated. THANKS!!!

·
Registered
10,589 Posts
Re: What to expect removing factory fender flares off a 2001 Z71 with 30K miles on it

Shouldn't be any rust. I took mine off my old truck 6 years after it was new and the paint was completely fine.

There might be a scratch all along where the edge of the flare was though.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Re: What to expect removing factory fender flares off a 2001 Z71 with 30K miles on it

This is before. My paint was horrible.
CIMG2049.gif

This is the best picture i could find showing them after. Not the best picture because my truck is dirty but you get the idea.
IMGP2386.jpg

I just polished with poorboys ssr 3, 2.5 and then 1
I heard some people wetsanded them.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts

i want flares :(

·
Devout Hedonist
147 Posts

Lots of dirt for me, but the 2-sided tape did a nice job of keeping the flares from vibrating and scuffing the paint. That was OEM flares with only a year of driving.

Aftermarket with no tape, just a rubber gasket type of thing....ugly under there. Scuffed to he**.

·
Registered
319 Posts

:mad:Mines got a white ring around the fenders.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Scratches where the flares have rubbed and prolly some dis-coloration depending on how much sun the truck has seen

·
Registered
8,114 Posts

on mine i noticed especially at the rear fenders the amount of scratches/debris stains from the rear tires kicking up shit

1 - 9 of 9 Posts