GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer told me my transmission was gone and they recommend replacing it with a new one for $3400 instead of repairing parts which may likely cost more than just replacing it.

I've called Chevrolet to complain about my transmission going out with only 49,000 miles on it and this woman has contacted the dealer and says that before she can contact the district Chevy office for assistance, she needs to have the transmission diagnosed to identify the problem.

The cost of the diagnosis would have to come out of my pocket which may cost between $300-500.

Should I spend that extra $300-500 to have it diagnosed with the hope of having GM pay for part of the $3400 or should I just save that extra $300-500 and just pay the $3400 myself and be done with it?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Hard to believe a 4L80E "is gone" at 49K miles. Unless they can guarantee you they'll fix it after it's diagnosed, then I'd save my $300-$500 and put it towards a rebuild. I wouldn't have the dealer replace the tranny for $3400, I'd just have it rebuilt for considerably less...JMO. What exactly is it doing (or not doing)?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Pull the truck out of there fast, Take it to a good tranny guy or get your own from on line. $3400 are they nuts ..

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Thats a tough call if you're deciding between the two. 3400 can quickly turn into 3900. I'm kinda w/ diehrd. if the truck is driveable, you may consider getting it out of the dealer. I'm sure you can pick up a tranny yourself for less than that and do the swap. Tranny swaps really arent that hard, especially if you have someone in your area that has done it before and can help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
most of the time at a dealer the money that you spend on diag is put to your repair bill. They qoute you that so if you bring in your truck and let them tell you whats wrong them take it somewhere else to get it fixed they still get something. Plus they can't charge you more time than the book calls for. Hope this helps you out

·
|=====TK=====|
523 Posts
RUN, run as fast as you can. Go find a reputable trans guy or shop who can do a much better job than the stealership for less money.
-TK

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hard to believe a 4L80E "is gone" at 49K miles. Unless they can guarantee you they'll fix it after it's diagnosed, then I'd save my $300-$500 and put it towards a rebuild. I wouldn't have the dealer replace the tranny for $3400, I'd just have it rebuilt for considerably less...JMO. What exactly is it doing (or not doing)?
A few months ago, I would take off but the truck wouldn't move. And then after a few seconds, it would lock in and really jerk forward. I recently changed the rear end oil hoping that would solve it.

I was cruising on the highway 65-70 mph and had to slow down for a traffic light. I came to a stop at the light, but there was this horrible loud noise eventhough I was stopped. It did this for about 5 seconds, and then all of a sudden something locked in and made a loud noise and jerked the truck forward and I initially thought the car behind me tapped me.

I'm fixing to take it in to the dealer and see if they can figure it out.

Can anyone give me any ideas?

The dealer drove it and couldn't feel or hear anything. Well no ****, I told them that it doesn't do this but maybe once a week.

Update...

Driving home from work Friday, my truck quit on me 3 times but I was able to make it home. Then Saturday morning as I was taking it in to the dealer, it gave out for good and had to be towed in.

You can give it gas and the engine will rev but the truck won't go forward and I can hear a noise under the cab. It almost sounds like a loose chain that is just rattling inside a housing, so if the transfer case is chain driven, then that could be it.

Update...

Dealer called and found bits of metal in the transmission pan and recommends replacing tranny for $3400 with 3 year warranty or repairing it for an estimated $2400 with 1 year warranty.

Ridiculous...I'm calling Chevrolet customer service to tell them that there is no way a transmission goes out with only 49,000 miles on it.

They're telling me that it could be the planetaries and it would be more expensive to repair what is wrong than it would be to just replace it with a new one.

·
Registered
640 Posts
dealerships try to rape customers on almost everything. My cousin got his tahoe tranny rebuilt for $900 from a very reputable transmission shop around here. I wouldn't even consider spending over $1500 if my tranny went out. thats just me. Id rather just roll it down a hill and collect insurance money

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I dropped $2300 on a rebuilt 4L60, from a reputable shop. The cheapest I found was $1900, but I didn't trust the shop. New trannies were going for $3000 and up. It just depends on where you live.

I wouldn't let the dealer touch my truck. Take it to a shop that specializes in transmissions. Also, I would just rebuild it... I wouldn't waste money on a new one...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Your crazy if you let a dealership touch your truck for that kinda money. I had my tranny redone, and it was around $1200 and i've never had a problem since and they have been 35K really hard miles. I beat the piss outta my truck. You can have it towed to a specialty tranny shop and fixed for less than half of what they are quoting you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.