GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
nbs 2wd single cab
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5.3 with 192,000 miles. It runs great, burns 1/2 qt oil between the 5000 mile oil changes. I'd like to put a cam in it. The problem is, would it be a waist to drop $630.00 on cam/springs/push rods, and $250.00 on a tune with this engine? Or would you get a engine out of the junkyard and go through that, then do a engine swap?

I don't want massive power, I'm starting to realize that a 5/7 drop is more of a cruzer. Planning on a CAI, exhaust, cam, and tune, that's it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
If you can afford it get a junkyard motor and build it? A lot of people have performance motors with high mileage. im almost 160k on my motor although the tope end is new the pistons and rings arnt... Not a if but when. I plan on building a new motor in a year or 2 so im not to worried about it. but if I had the cash I would of just built one in the first place.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm around 170k and I just did cam and head swap. My pistons looked really good oil pan was clean no sludge what so ever.

·
Registered
419 Posts
did my cam swap at 180k, pulled heads when I did, looked great inside. runs good too

·
nbs 2wd single cab
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really want to do the cam in this engine, it's very strong. Just didn't know what kind of life these engines have.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm at 190k just added headers,e fans and a tune. I'm planning to add new heads and cam. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't last me a while longer

·
Registered
419 Posts
ls engines-if taken care of with proper maintenance have seen 250k plus on MANY MANY of a truck/car.

when I did mine I didn't touch the oil pump,screen,used the old stock lifters,or change timing chain or gears. but I have taken care of the engine-93 octane,good oil,filter,air cleaner,blah,blah.
the cylinders had no visible ridge,had crosshatching all the way up maybe 1/4 from top kinda hard to see. I don't use any oil and I change at every 4000 miles(Castrol high mileage 10w-30) 39psi hot idle 59psi hot at 70mph.

·
Formerly TrucknGolf
2,182 Posts
Buy 6.0. Cam and stall. Install. Sell old engine for same price as the 6.0

·
nbs 2wd single cab
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Buy 6.0. Cam and stall. Install. Sell old engine for same price as the 6.0
That is so in the back of my mind. I haven't looked into that, is it difficult? I understand the it will drop in without changing mounts, but are there other things that are a must? Swapping the engine doesn't faze me in the least, the electronics make me nervous though.

·
nbs 2wd single cab
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never mind on the 6.0, I just want a few more hp. I know myself well enough that if I bought a 6.0, it wouldn't stop there...

·
Formerly TrucknGolf
2,182 Posts
There is nothing different. Just a different tune. Buy a LQ4 or LQ9 engine and go.

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
1/2 bottle @ 5k is nothing...then engine is still good. Youd be taking a risk with a junkyard motor and lord knows what kinda life its had.

I camd mine at 100k and im at 161k now...no oil burning and runs fine :shrug:

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
The engine in my truck had 236k on it when I installed my cam and stall. No issues yet.

·
Registered
333 Posts
1/2 bottle @ 5k is nothing...then engine is still good. Youd be taking a risk with a junkyard motor and lord knows what kinda life its had.

I camd mine at 100k and im at 161k now...no oil burning and runs fine :shrug:
When I first bought my truck I thought hard about a 6.0 and then that creeped into my mind. Without a full rebuild I'd always be hesitant to drive it hard.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just thought I would throw out there that my dad just got rid of his '01 with 5.3l and it was just shy of 440k miles and still ran strong. Only thing he went through was 3 trannys.

·
nbs 2wd single cab
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I'm going to pull the trigger on putting a cam in this engine. A 6.0 would be fun, but my engine is strong.

Thanks guys

1 - 17 of 17 Posts