GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to move and I'll have a pretty good paying job and my truck is paid off so that is kinda nice.
But the question is would you keep the truck or let it go? I'll be commuting about 100+ miles a day and I have 106K+ semi-hard miles on her right now. So gas price is kinda a problem.
I've had my fair share of problems with it but not having a payment is really nice. My next truck will be a Ford for sure, PSD CC 4x4 6spd. But those carry a decent price tag and I don't wanna be 35K+ in debt on a pickup . I have access to a extra truck to use when I need to go out to the ranch so and my pops has a PSD so if I ever need to pull something big.
But if I do keep my truck I am gonna do something with it, either SFA (down the road a ways) and make to be beat to hell and still roll down the interstate good. I have some buddies that have jeeps and stuff and seeing some rigs on here kinda makes me want a new hobby. :drool:
Nothing is gonna happen right away, maybe around July or so I can afford to do what I want. Right now thinking not having to pay 500+ a month sounds good. But a PSD sounds really nice too. But I might just hold on to her as long as possible, then get another truck. Buying a little commuter Toyota has crossed my mind too.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
You dont want to hear what I have to say about buying a PSD. I just saw one today broken down (looks like a damn grenade went off in the engine bay)

·
Keepin' it real...
2,284 Posts
Well first off, I wouldnt buy a small daily driver. Even if you paid cash for it, it still doesnt make any sense economically. It would take alot of miles for it to pay for itself in gas usage. For the price of buying a new daily-driver, you could buy ALOT of gas.

Personally, I'd hang on to the truck for a while. Like you said, having a paid off vehicle is nice.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
I agree w/ Grant

You would have to buy a LOT of time/miles to make it up in gas.
I vote keep the truck, its paid off!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dark Eternal said:
You dont want to hear what I have to say about buying a PSD. I just saw one today broken down (looks like a damn grenade went off in the engine bay)
I too am a little leary of the 6.0 right now. But IMO that 7.3 can't be beat. I've been in many Duramaxs and hate everyone of them. They don't pull for shit, and the Cummins is ok, but is in a Dodge.
My pops had a '97 PSD with 278K on it and still ran fine, just worn out truck. Now has a '01 PSD with 188K and runs like a champ, and my mom's X 4x4 PSD has just 83K and hauls ass and gets 18+ MPG.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
??? Every Duramax Ive been it pulled better than any other vehicle ive EVER been in. Out of the big 3, I would pick the GM right now, the only reason dodge isnt in 1st is because its a dodge, like you said - the cumming is awesome. At least you are being smart about the new 6.0, its had more than its share of problems. The 7.3 is a good, but also outdated engine. I would just be worried about the rest of the vehicle....

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not disagreeing with you at all Stephen.
The Duramax is a good engine for a highway driving with no load. I see them all the time up and down I-20 and the chug along fine empty but I have seen a ton of them bog down with going up an overpass. My buddy has a Duramax that had a ton of problems, that thing threw oil everywhere. He finally just got rid of it. But GM trucks are just built like poo right now. I mean down rough roads they fall apart in a hurry. Most of my family drives GM and still like them, but they are all 2001+ models and look and ride like they are falling apart. My uncle has one that is chipped and it runs pretty good.
We have had much better luck with Fords in this part of the country. Every PSD I have been in is a much better diesel IMO. I've hauled our 32 ft stock trailer through the hills at Van Horn with a couple horses in it and it never skipped a beat, and passed a couple Duramaxs on the way.
In the oil field my pops has gone through many trucks and his Fords has lasted the longest. He bought a '01 HD a while back and got rid of it before it had 30K cause it just started falling apart, tail lights fell out, front bumper brackets broke, bed cracked to pieces, and it sounded like it had a ton of miles on it. He drove it just like his other trucks but it just didn't hold up. He has always been a die hard Chevy guy but everytime he buys a Chevy he sells it for a Ford.
I do think GM has some qualitys that leave Ford in the dust, but Ford is just a better built truck right now IMO.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Yep, I would definately recommend a Ford or Dodge over Chevy for a tow rig. I mean think about, you build an engine that runs by detonating... What does detonation do to gas engine pistons? Burns them up. What are gas engine pistons made of, alluminum, so what did they make the duramax heads out of? Aluminum... I have a few buddies that work at the dealer and they tell me all kinds of horror stories with the duramax and new chevy's in general.

We have a 99 3500 ram with 24 valve cummins that will out pull any off the lot chevy out there. I can't wait to find me a 94-97 12 valve to play with :head:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
willyswanter said:
I can't wait to find me a 94-97 12 valve to play with :head:
I thought you found one in TX?
Why don't you just get a OBS Chevy and do the Cummins conversion? And throw a D 60 under the front and your done.

·
Proud Chevy Owner
859 Posts
I would take a duramax over a ford any day but whats everyones prob with dodge i think the cummins is killer but im not really into the look of the new dodge. Chevy still has my vote thought the duramax has a lot of powe i always see ppl towing huge trailors or mobile homes with them and having no probs. Plus the interior doesnt look like puke like the fords do.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
It sold before I could get the guy on the phone...

Once I drive the dodge for a few years I'm going to buy a 96-99 crew cab dually chevy 4x4 and put the dodge drivetrain into it, cummins/nv4500/tcase/d60/d80. But thats a few years away.

I don't like the new dodge body styles either, the dually's don't look too bad because the width offsets the huge grill but the SRW versions are kinda not my thing.

·
GPS Guru
347 Posts
Todd said:
But GM trucks are just built like poo right now. I mean down rough roads they fall apart in a hurry. Most of my family drives GM and still like them, but they are all 2001+ models and look and ride like they are falling apart.
Ask any farmer, any truck you buy is going to fall apart if you drive it on rough roads. They simply weren't made for it. :read:

·
Keepin' it real...
2,284 Posts
Shift said:
Ask any farmer, any truck you buy is going to fall apart if you drive it on rough roads. They simply weren't made for it. :read:
He is... well, rancher. :crazy:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Grant said:
He is... well, rancher. :crazy:

haha.
Yeah every truck will fall apart. But a Ford seems to be lasting the longest right now. It was Chevy and Ford were about the same in my book, but Chevy is cutting to many corners and their truck quality has gone down.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Your truck is paid off, I'd keep that for now highway use. I'm guessing that the drivetrain itself is probably in good shape and good for plenty more miles. I agree with grant, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to get a daily either. I'm not a fan of Ford, for more reasons than I can count with my shoes off. I also think that most new trucks probably won't hold up to the kind of abuse you go through anyway, these days they're all pretty much street queens IMO. So, another possibility would be to sell yours and pick up an OBS truck or an OOBS truck (solid axle!) and use that. My dad's '90 suburban has probably a good 300-350k on it right now ( Odo broke at 200k about 5 years ago...), runs great. All highway miles, but those old trucks are solid. Since you've got your dads PSD for pulling things, you woudn't really need gobs of power. Just my though though, I like old trucks :crazy:

·
2,451 Posts
Todd said:
I too am a little leary of the 6.0 right now. But IMO that 7.3 can't be beat. I've been in many Duramaxs and hate everyone of them. They don't pull for shit, and the Cummins is ok, but is in a Dodge.
My pops had a '97 PSD with 278K on it and still ran fine, just worn out truck. Now has a '01 PSD with 188K and runs like a champ, and my mom's X 4x4 PSD has just 83K and hauls ass and gets 18+ MPG.
the 6.0s problems are pretty much fixed. theres a guy on ford truck world who got his going like 120 with 38 pjs and 3.73s stock. no exhaust no nothing. . Theres 2 people on ftw with stacked chips and one lights up 37 toyos on 18s and the other 38 sts, easily. ive heard of people smokeing 5.3s with 35ft boats. They haul. I can wait to see the more powerful cummins :read:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whifflebat said:
Your truck is paid off, I'd keep that for now highway use. I'm guessing that the drivetrain itself is probably in good shape and good for plenty more miles. I agree with grant, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to get a daily either.
Yeah I know, I am getting a new job soon and will be making good cash and I'll have my only credit card paid off quick so I will be outta debt quick.
But I have the kinda personality like many others do prolly, I have to have a change on my truck often. I get way to bored with it. I never thought of goin SFA and prolly won't but it has crossed my mind since I will have the cash very easy and have access to every tool I will need. Plus I'll be out in the middle of no where and I'll need a new hobby.
So either something big will happen with this truck or I will have another one soon.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Grant said:
Well first off, I wouldnt buy a small daily driver. Even if you paid cash for it, it still doesnt make any sense economically. It would take alot of miles for it to pay for itself in gas usage. For the price of buying a new daily-driver, you could buy ALOT of gas.

Personally, I'd hang on to the truck for a while. Like you said, having a paid off vehicle is nice.
I didn’t really do it for economical reasons but more to make the truck last by saving wear and tear on it from daily commuter driving. I recently bought a used 2000 Toyota Corolla for a good price. All manual options so less to break. I use it to drive to work every day and the truck is for weekends and when I need it. Comparing driving the truck say 12,000 miles in one year to the Corolla I would save over $1000 in gas with the Corolla. Again I mainly just want the truck to last versus the economical savings although if gas goes over $2.00/gallon this summer I am going to be glad I got the Corolla. Both vehicles I own outright thus I don’t make payments which is nice.

Still keeping an eye out cause a dedicated trail rig is also still in my future.

rkik

1 - 20 of 25 Posts