GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this has been gone over before, but I'm just wondering what everyone is paying for the complete interior of a NBS regular cab to be smoothed/painted? I've done a majority of mine in my truck, and have started getting a little business on the side. But with this happening I've got a buddy of mine who we've done shaving and such for who now wants his interior painted House of Kolor Tangelo Pearl and Orion Silver two tone. Long story short, I priced materials for paint, primer, clear, sandpaper, and all that and it came out to $400. I originally told him $800 to smooth/paint it, but that was before the HoK paint was thrown in. Am I raping myself on labor for doing it for $400 or does that sounds about right?

Chris
Acro Texas

·
Team Black
1,398 Posts
When I get ready I'd like to have mine done. Atlanta is only like an hour from here. I'd like to help with the prep work too. I'll let you know tho

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
If you're doing it all by hand, then yes, you are raping yourself *imo*. With a machine to help you sand most of it, then idk, it's whatever you feel your worth. are you stripping the truck yourself too? Call some local shops and compare.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
If you're doing it all by hand, then yes, you are raping yourself *imo*. With a machine to help you sand most of it, then idk, it's whatever you feel your worth. are you stripping the truck yourself too? Call some local shops and compare.
yea thats what i would do too, just call a couple of shops keeping in mind if they do it with machines or by hand.......

·
OG
1,498 Posts
From somebody who painted their own interior, I think you're charging too little. I must have put over 100 hours into my dash/bezel alone. Granted I did all the sanding by hand (didn't have the DA sander I have now....Christmas :D ). When you say interior, what exactly do you mean? There are various components that encompass the interior. I'm assuming you mean the dash, bezel, glovebox & surround, lower steering wheel cover plate, window switches, speaker grilles and center console.

I think $1,000 would be a very fair and worthwile price for you to charge. Tell him to call some shops and see what they want. I bet for all I've listed, they'll want somewhere in the $1,500-$2,000 range :read:

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do a lot of the sanding with my DA, but there is still quite a bit of sanding by hand when doing the finish/wet sanding. I would be doing the dash, door panels, bezel, glove box...pretty much ALL the interior plastic including kick panels, and door sill plates. A lot of the pieces are already painted, but they didn't use the plastic primer and it's cracking and peeling like crazy, plus they just primed over the texture until they couldn't see it anymore. Therefore I will be doing twice the work by stripping all the old stuff off, then starting over. I think $1500-$2000 is a good range, but my buddy acted like he got offended when I told him materials plus $400 for labor. He may have to go somewhere else.

Chris
Acro Texas

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
My old truck I had my boys shop do all the sanding and painting and cut and polish everything plastic basically out of a scsb cost me about 1500 plus materials so about 2k total. came out sweet though. Maybe someone on her has some pics of my old truck for refernece.

·
OG
1,498 Posts
I do a lot of the sanding with my DA, but there is still quite a bit of sanding by hand when doing the finish/wet sanding. I would be doing the dash, door panels, bezel, glove box...pretty much ALL the interior plastic including kick panels, and door sill plates. A lot of the pieces are already painted, but they didn't use the plastic primer and it's cracking and peeling like crazy, plus they just primed over the texture until they couldn't see it anymore. Therefore I will be doing twice the work by stripping all the old stuff off, then starting over. I think $1500-$2000 is a good range, but my buddy acted like he got offended when I told him materials plus $400 for labor. He may have to go somewhere else.

Chris
Acro Texas

Doesn't surprise me he got offended. Unless you've done any prep & paint work, people act like the price is outrageous. Like I said before, I must have put in 100+ hours of prep work into my interior. It took weeks upon weeks to finish. I also like to oblige by the old saying:

Don't do business with friends :imo

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Doesn't surprise me he got offended. Unless you've done any prep & paint work, people act like the price is outrageous. Like I said before, I must have put in 100+ hours of prep work into my interior. It took weeks upon weeks to finish. I also like to oblige by the old saying:

Don't do business with friends :imo
LOL, that is so true. You have no idea what's involved until you do it yourself. I spend a good 6 hours on my dash bezel alone, kick panels 1 hr each, door handles(3hrs), bumper cap 5 hours, it all adds up in the end and it's not fun work even with a sander.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts