GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im taking the 89 to the track soon. Anyone know what a stock TBI OBS reg cab, long bed will run in the 1/8th? Just want to know so Ill know where I stand now.

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
:read: Thats like saying any carbed engine sucks. It can be built to work decent.
theres a big difference between a carbbed 350 and a tbi 350. tbi 350s take that much mroe to make real power. If you are in the 10s in the 1/8th, be happy.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Mine is NOT stock. :read:
then how do you expect people to guess what it might run without giving any hints as to what you've done?

With the right parts, they can run pretty decent, but I've never been impressed with any of the small block applications.

Those of you comparing a carb to a tbi... the injection method is just one part of the equation. The major drawbacks to the tbi powerplants were the heads, cam, and tuning. A carbed sbc would run just as shitty if it had the same terrible flowing heads, tiny cam, etc...

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
then how do you expect people to guess what it might run without giving any hints as to what you've done?

With the right parts, they can run pretty decent, but I've never been impressed with any of the small block applications.

Those of you comparing a carb to a tbi... the injection method is just one part of the equation. The major drawbacks to the tbi powerplants were the heads, cam, and tuning. A carbed sbc would run just as shitty if it had the same terrible flowing heads, tiny cam, etc...
I want to know what a STOCK TBI 350 runs, not mine. Just to give me a base line when I do run it.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I want to know what a STOCK TBI 350 runs, not mine. Just to give me a base line when I do run it.
and without knowing gears, tire height, motor, body configuration, etc... noone will be able to guess, with any accuracy. There are many variables... it could be anywhere from a high 15 to 20 seconds. Why so secretive?

·
Registered
6,654 Posts

·
5,501 Posts
that would imply that you told us before.:think:

If it's a 350, I'd guess high 17's or low 18's.
i hope it would run a little better...but then again, the gearing is shit. i ran mine in the winter a couple years ago, 39.5s and 5.13s on 3/4 tons. squeezed a 17.9 out of it. that was w/o pulling any weight out (still had hi lift, spare shafts, tools, etc). I still hold the spot for GMFS slowest truck...for now...

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
mine looks like it runs 17's :LOL: sleeper's kick ass! I painted the rear sway bar black this weekend, so it looks stock. :head:
Indeed, sleepers do kick ass. I was actually sitting at a stop light when a hemi ram rolled up next to a tahoe. My buddy was saying "wouldn't that be badass if that hoe was supercharged and shit." I immediately though of your truck and filled him in.

i hope it would run a little better...but then again, the gearing is shit. i ran mine in the winter a couple years ago, 39.5s and 5.13s on 3/4 tons. squeezed a 17.9 out of it. that was w/o pulling any weight out (still had hi lift, spare shafts, tools, etc). I still hold the spot for GMFS slowest truck...for now...
Shit at least you're honest about your 17.9. There's guys on here expecting to break into the 14's with a stock 350

·
5,501 Posts
Shit at least you're honest about your 17.9. There's guys on here expecting to break into the 14's with a stock 350
i was stoked about breaking into the 17s :endofshow

Im expecting to break into the 15s or better, seriously, in the next couple months. no 350 tho.

5.7s are decent motors (both 350 and ls1) in lighter cars. Its not enough to do much with in a 5000 lb truck tho. I wish we knew exactly what all mods are done. The cams are SO puny on TBI motors, they make stock lsx vortec cams look beefy, and we know thats not so. Heads suck. Throttle bodys are resrictive...it takes a LOT to get good power out of them...pretty much to the point of finding a cheap lsx and making it work (like im doing). Small cam with chromo pushrods and some 915 springs and let that be that...more reliable, better econ, and more power.

Most stock 5.3s run what, 15.5, give or take? my friends reg cab long bed 4.8 ran 16.1 the night i ran 17.9. Tuned 5.3s move the truck to about a 15 flat, right? thats still pretty slow...and its MUCH better than a decently modded tbi motor imo.

I have the only TBI motor on the "fast truck" list, and my 1/8th mile time was not bad at all. it moved real well off the line. my 60 ft mark was just slightly worse than a few of the trucks running mid-high 15s. my issue was getting those tires rolling at speed. getting to the 1/8th was fine, after that it was a dog. If you can get a TBI motor to run low 10s in the 1/8th, you are doing good.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Most stock 5.3s run what, 15.5, give or take? my friends reg cab long bed 4.8 ran 16.1 the night i ran 17.9. Tuned 5.3s move the truck to about a 15 flat, right? thats still pretty slow...and its MUCH better than a decently modded tbi motor imo.
RCSB usually are usually around 5-7 10ths faster than an ecsb. ECSB's usually run around a 16.
With just a tune there have been ecsb guys who have broken into the 14's and there are a few rcsb guys who have broken into the 14's with just intake/exhaust.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts