GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just a lil curious what does the bore on a rim mean, i no bout the offset and what the backspacing is but what is the bore? and does it matter or would i need a certain bore if i bought new rims?

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Yes different vehicle have different hub bores. Most aftermarket non hub cenntric 6 on 5.5' patterns will have a 4.25 hob bore.

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
I think the proper hub bore size is 78mm which is the same as stock size. Some manuf make a larger bore to make them more universal for different trucks like toyota, nissan etc which use a larger bore but same bolt pattern. I like a wheel thats hubcentric and made for my vehicle.

·
I'd rather be hunting.
492 Posts
I think the proper hub bore size is 78mm which is the same as stock size. Some manuf make a larger bore to make them more universal for different trucks like toyota, nissan etc which use a larger bore but same bolt pattern. I like a wheel thats hubcentric and made for my vehicle.
You can get the adaptors to make those wheels hub centric. I have thought about getting them for my diesels if I can find them somewhere.

·
I'd rather be hunting.
492 Posts
78.1mm is the centerbore, I've had aftermarket (KMC-XD) that were 106.25mm and current wheels are 108mm; I've used the plastic hub centric rings with no issues on both sets.

I bought mine from eBay aaiautomotiveaccessories

Dakota, I think I still have mine from my Hoss wheels, if you need them let me know.
I need them...letting you know. :crazy: Mine are 106.25mm. What would you like for them, Sir?

·
07SilveradoNoob
1,314 Posts
Never had issues on mine, if the correct hub size is offered in wheels I like then I would surely get it, but as long as I use the hub rings and torque the wheels down evenly they should center just as hubcentric wheels will. Plus there is a much bigger selection of wheel choices if your not worried about them being hubcentric.

As long as you gradually build up the torque on each lug in a criss-cross pattern it shouldn't be a problem:

I start out by hand tightening-> 60#s-> 90#s-> 115#s, not everyone is going to take the extra time to equally tighten them down, maybe thats part of the reason why GM made them DummyProof.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Never had issues on mine, if the correct hub size is offered in wheels I like then I would surely get it, but as long as I use the hub rings and torque the wheels down evenly they should center just as hubcentric wheels will. Plus there is a much bigger selection of wheel choices if your not worried about them being hubcentric.

As long as you gradually build up the torque on each lug in a criss-cross pattern it shouldn't be a problem:

I start out by hand tightening-> 60#s-> 90#s-> 115#s, not everyone is going to take the extra time to equally tighten them down, maybe thats part of the reason why GM made them DummyProof.
I tried everything with my old wheels, re-torqued them 100 times, had them road force balanced twice, nothing worked.

Of course my new wheels are hubcentric (LTZ 20's) and they ride like a dream.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts