GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is everyone using for a filter? Why do you use that specific filter? My Job position now, I order probably 100 filters a week (heavy equipment), and we use mostly Cat, Donaldson and Wix. Which got me thinking on filters to run on my truck. Mileage Is getting higher, so I want to have as best of filtration as possible!

I normally ran Fram or Wix in the past depending on what store I was at.

I have looked up a few specs on the websites of the companies and found the following specs:

Donaldson: P551307
Length: 4.2"
PPM: 40 mic @ 99%
$7 local store

Wix: 51042
Length: 3.41"
PPM: N/A. just lists 2/20 Beta filtration rate
$7 local store

Mobil 1: M1-206
Length: 4.2"
PPM: N/A
$15.50 local store

AC Delco Pro: PF46E
Length: N/A
PPM: 20 mic @ 95.4%
Price: $4 on Amazon (wont ship to Canada)

Amsoil: EA15K32
Length: N/A
PPM: 20 mic @ 98.7%
$14.50 locally

Amsoil seems to be the best, but also @ $15 a filter, they aren't cheap.

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
wix then amsoil...im an amsoil dealer so i get baller prices on both :pepper:

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wix then amsoil...im an amsoil dealer so i get baller prices on both :pepper:
Wanna PM me a price on a Amsoil filter? Could possibly order a bunch from you.

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
$13.90

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I am currently running the Amsoil filter. Going to NAPA/Wix next oil change.

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
i use a k&n because of the nut on the bottom makes it really easy to spin off the old filter

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
No real reason no. Just because they are cheaper, easier to get. If you were to buy a bunch of the Amsoil filters then it wouldn't be a problem. I am also going to switch to the long 1522 while I am at it to make it easier to get on and off.

Kind of off-topic, but when I switched to Amsoil oil last August, I put on an Amsoil filter as well. Started experiencing an oil pressure drop last winter. Changed the pump/oring and still the same pressure. Changed the Amsoil filter (3500 miles on it maybe) and put the spare one I had (Amsoil again) on and pressure shot up to where it should be. I think the high detergents in Amsoil are cleaning my engine and plugging up the first filter. I am going to see if the same thing happens after a while with this new filter. I am hoping that everything that was going to come out has come out since my pressure drop had reached what seemed to be its minimum at around 20psi idle.

·
Yake is a Fgt
3,582 Posts
AcDelco

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
No real reason no. Just because they are cheaper, easier to get. If you were to buy a bunch of the Amsoil filters then it wouldn't be a problem. I am also going to switch to the long 1522 while I am at it to make it easier to get on and off.

Kind of off-topic, but when I switched to Amsoil oil last August, I put on an Amsoil filter as well. Started experiencing an oil pressure drop last winter. Changed the pump/oring and still the same pressure. Changed the Amsoil filter (3500 miles on it maybe) and put the spare one I had (Amsoil again) on and pressure shot up to where it should be. I think the high detergents in Amsoil are cleaning my engine and plugging up the first filter. I am going to see if the same thing happens after a while with this new filter. I am hoping that everything that was going to come out has come out since my pressure drop had reached what seemed to be its minimum at around 20psi idle.
same here...had low psi all of a sudden...changed the filter, problem gone. It is recommended that you swap filters if youre running the Signature oil, maybe even if u run the XL line for the max of 10k miles.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts

·
14' GMC Owner
483 Posts
I use what came from factory- so GM ac delco ford motorcraft. And dodge group use mopar

Sent from my iPhone on the BNSF Railway

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just went through my pile of filters I ordered this week waiting to be installed, mostly Donaldson (some Mack, International, Wix). Half of the Donaldson are built in Mexico, other half in USA, Mack were from USA, International were from USA, Wix was USA

photo1_zps66e95f86.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
I used Purolators on my last truck after Walmart stopped selling their own brand of filters (Supertech). With this truck it will be whatever the dealer puts on since I have 2 years of free oil changes and a lifetime powertrain warranty if they change the fluids.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ordinarily I recommend OE filter but GM small block filters have not impressed me... Royal Purple High-Mileage oil and a Royal Purple extended life filter in my truck.

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
Purolator.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts