GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get some feedback, I was going to get my truck lowered 2/4 but seems a 3/5 might be the way to go. If anyone has some feedback on this let me know I dont want to get too low I would like to go over a speed bump without taking a long ass time to do it.

Post some pictures of the 2/4 vs. the 3/5 especialy from the side so I can see the clearance....thanks man.

:gmfs:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Personaly I'd go 4/6. Chances are your gonna want to go lower. Trust me, I've known more than one person say I just want to lower it a little. So they go 2/4 and six months later they want to be lower. If you don't go 4/6 now go 2/4 because it's easier to go to 4/6 later on from a 2/4 than a 3/5. A 3/5 is one of those weird drops that if I rember right makes a 6" rear drop a pain. Also, I don't care what any of the manufactures say about 3/5s not needing a notch, anything over a 4" drop out back needs a notch.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
Is this for a NBS or OBS chevy? a 3/5 is lower on a NBS than OBS.....

In either case really a 3/5 is very reasonable and won't cause any clearance or speed bump issues.....

Are you rolling on stock wheels/tires or an aftermarket combo?

Cameron

·
Registered
930 Posts
just do a 4/6 and save time and money. i'm was deciding the same thing but 4/6 looks and performs better than a 2/4 or 3/5.

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
I assume it's for the sierra in your sig. A 3/5 is good, but you MUST notch the frame. Your axle will hit the frame more times that you would like without notching even with shorter bumpstops. From the looks of it, you can't go 4/6 because you'll have rubbing problems with the 275/45's you have on there. I don't think you have enough backspacing on your 20's. I think your best bet is to go 3/4 if you don't want to get new tires for a 4/6.....

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
groundscraper said:
I assume it's for the sierra in your sig. A 3/5 is good, but you MUST notch the frame. Your axle will hit the frame more times that you would like without notching even with shorter bumpstops. From the looks of it, you can't go 4/6 because you'll have rubbing problems with the 275/45's you have on there. I don't think you have enough backspacing on your 20's. I think your best bet is to go 3/4 if you don't want to get new tires for a 4/6.....
You may be right. I didn't pay attention to his tires.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes its for my standard cab stepside gmc sierra. I am running some stock 2004 Escalade 17" wheels and tires right now but I am getting my 20's back real soon. As for backspacing my wheels are 20x8.5 I belive they are raceline eliminators.

I am not too sure about this NOTCHing of the frame, I dont think I want to do that.

thats my truck above without the 2" shackle I had put on the back but this picture has my 20's on it. You can kinda see what they look like there.

If I have to KNOTCH my back end with a 3/5 for sure, then I am going to stick with a 2/4 drop. Cause I dont like slowing down much for speedbumps.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i have a 3/4, and it's nice, I wouldn't mind being lower, but I like not having to slow down to not scrape tranny cross member on speedbumps and etc....

up to you :dunno:

·
Registered
559 Posts
i had a 3/5 on mine and,in my opinion, it is the best static drop you can do if you wanna go that route because you can fit such a wide variety of wheel and tires combos. At least more than a 4/6 and in my opinion, a 2/4 does do much at all

·
Registered
559 Posts
i didnt notch the frame will it was 3/5 but it was kinda rough when i hit a bad bump in the road. If you wanna go with that kit you should notch it but you dont HAVE to like with the 4/6 that is almost untolerable without a notch

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
why are you so against notching your frame? it doesn't weaken it any, and if you get it done right, it will actually be stronger than it was before. If you belive that a 2/4 with out a notch is what you want, i'd reconsider it. I had one, and every time i went a little too fast over a speed bump, my axle would slap my frame. its a dreadful feeling.

·
My name's not Kevin
308 Posts
I'm running a 3/5 with stock 16s. I'm planning on notching some day. But it's not a big deal at this point. Just avoid hitting things too hard.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I have a 3/5 drop on mine. I did mine using Belltech drop leafs and 3" coils up front. They sent me 3" leafs so with my shackles all I could get is 5 " total. But if you order the 4" leafs and set your shackle to 2" you can have 6". I never notched mine and it drives just fine. Yeah it bottoms out every once and a while but if you take it easy it'll be ok. You don't have to notch if you don't want to. But 5" is the limit! But the rest of the people that replied are right about the 4/6. Mine doesn't even look low at all anymore to me. I was going to a 4/6 or 5/7 but I figured since I was getting it bagged sometime next year I'd just leave it. I'm going to notch my frame soon and have it at 6" in the back by slapping on some hangers. So if you want to go 3/5 now you can go the 4" leaf route and set your shackles to 1" and then later you can have a 4/6 with no problem at all.
Here's some pics of my 3/5:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
3/5 looks tight, but I have done some serious thinking and a 2/4 is going to be the way to go for me. 3/5 would just piss me off going over bumps, and I have like a ton as it is on my own street.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts