GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Watchu know about trucks?
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered some 18x9's with a 5" backspace. Gonna be mounting 35x12.50 tires on them and getting a 6" lift for my 2001 2WD Suburban. I know some minor trimming on the front valance may be requred, but will the 5" backspace on the wheel cause rubbing issues on any hardware? It looks like most here have a 4.5" backspace. Will 1/2" make that big a difference?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesnt a higher number backspace mean the closer the wheel is to the center for the vehicle?

·
DisgruntleD
3,822 Posts
You're right, the higher backspace the tighter the wheel is to the frame, if that is how you want it explained. But what lift are you going to get? Many lifts require 4.5 backspacing, which is why so many guys on here have them.

You'll need to plan accordingly with your lift vs. wheels.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
No they usually require 4.5" of backspacing on a 8" rim. With a 9" rim you might be cutting it close with 5" of backspacing. If your rims had 5.5" of backspacing that would be optimal.

·
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're right, the higher backspace the tighter the wheel is to the frame, if that is how you want it explained. But what lift are you going to get? Many lifts require 4.5 backspacing, which is why so many guys on here have them.

You'll need to plan accordingly with your lift vs. wheels.
I think I may be getting the procomp 6" lift that uses the factory knuckles.

Couldnt I get some 1/2" spacers to bring the wheels out a bit? Or is my thinking flawed?

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I think I may be getting the procomp 6" lift that uses the factory knuckles.

Couldnt I get some 1/2" spacers to bring the wheels out a bit? Or is my thinking flawed?
that would work, but I'm not every sure you'd need it. I honestly thought the 4.5" of backspacing was only for 2wd trucks with coil springs. I've seen a nbs with a 6" on stock rims before so I know it's possible to have more backspacing.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Where I work we did a 6" Pro Comp lift on a 2003 or 2004 1500, it was 4x4, but the lady kept her stock wheels and put some 34"-35" tires on it. She hasn't come back with any complaints. I think you should be fine, If you put the lift and wheels on and you're not ok, then put the spacers in.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
If it is a knuckle style kit then you dont want any more than 5" backspacing. You said you wanted a full drop so you'll be fine with those wheels and tires.

·
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, thanks guys. I'm feeling better about my purchase. It wasnt until I paid for the wheels that I realized the baskspacing difference. The wheels I bought are Eagle Alloy series 186's. I got all four wheels, lugs, caps and valve stems for $529 shipped. Seems like a good deal.

I like coming here and getting honest answers real quick. I'm a noob when it comes to suspension/wheels/tires for trucks and SUV's. I'm more of an expert in lowering Saturns, Hondas, and Lexus.

Agian, thanks a lot.

·
DisgruntleD
3,822 Posts
For 4 bys some full drop kits, the pro comp in particular, you can run stock wheels with. Most knuckle kits you cannot. Most knuckle kits require a maximum of 4.5 backspacking. More backspacing than that will cause the wheel to rub the control arms. Though yours is a 2 wheel drive it should be similar.

If you are planning on running the pro comp, you are less likely to rub with the wheels you ordered and than if you added spacers. The less backspacing you run the more apt to rub you are.

So with the pro comp kit you should be fine with that setup.

·
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is why I keep coming to this forum. Lots of good info and helpfull people.

Now I have to shop around for tires. I still have to hit up a couple local shops to get pricing. So far the cheapest I've found BFG AT's is for $1,218.60 and free shipping on Ebay.

And for the lift I'll probably goto 4WheelParts. I know the customer service isnt the greatest, but they're local and have the best price I've found.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts