GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
submarine z71
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know how to check the bearings, but is it not the same as checkin balljoints with the 12 and 6 method?
basically, whats the best way to determine if its the balljoint or wheel bearing?

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Wheel bearings and hubs tend to be difficult. You can tell when it's a problem after it's shows a problem ( I know that kinda makes no sense ). Any reason why you suspect there could be a problem? You can do the 12/6 test on it. If they are bad, you'll get too much movement in it. Could always take them out and look for scoring and such.

·
submarine z71
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
loud scratchy, skreeching noise comin from the front, one side WILL NOT stay aligned
but that same side has never had a balljoint replaced

·
Registered
446 Posts
One way i was shown by a mechanic to check the lower balljoints is to first jack the front up and support both side with jackstands somewhere on the control arms. You need to have the tires about 4 to 6 inches off the ground. Then take like a 3 or 4 foot piece of pipe of thick wood and stick it under the tire and leverage it against the ground and try to lift the tire. You probably need someone to watch the knuckly while you do this. If the lowers are bad the whole knuckle will move up and down when you put pressure on the pipe.

The guy at the alignment shop showed me this trick to really tell if my lowers needed replaced. I was amazed at how bad mine were. When he did this the whole knuckle moved up and down like and 3/4 of an inch.

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,655 Posts
One way i was shown by a mechanic to check the lower balljoints is to first jack the front up and support both side with jackstands somewhere on the control arms. You need to have the tires about 4 to 6 inches off the ground. Then take like a 3 or 4 foot piece of pipe of thick wood and stick it under the tire and leverage it against the ground and try to lift the tire. You probably need someone to watch the knuckly while you do this. If the lowers are bad the whole knuckle will move up and down when you put pressure on the pipe.

The guy at the alignment shop showed me this trick to really tell if my lowers needed replaced. I was amazed at how bad mine were. When he did this the whole knuckle moved up and down like and 3/4 of an inch.
that works sometimes, the ideal way to check GM balljoints is to check for radial (side to side) movement, most Fords HAVE to be checked the way you described, the lowers only have axial (up & down) movement

1 - 7 of 7 Posts