GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
Joined
·
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I found some 18" wheels for my truck. Just trying to get my ducks in a row so here goes:

Should I go with 18x8 w/5" backspace on all four corners or 18x8.5 w/5.5" backspace all the way around, or 18x8 for the front, 18x8.5 for the rear? I plan on running a 255/55/18 which should be alright, what brand of tires would you guys recommend? As all you guys know my 95 OBS 4/6 drop with Belltech spindles up front has me worried on the wheel not tucking (the stickie outie look :nono:) I haven't chosen the sytle wheel yet but they are from American Racing wheels. Some of you have given me some recomendations regarding this, thanks who have. I just think I need to get this rolling now. So many options and choices can make a guy mad :flame: .

Thanks in advance.
Kal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
When I had my 99 Sierra, I ran 18 x 8's with 5.5" backspacing. The guys at Boyd Coddington helped me determine the backspacing to provide the most flush look. Also, I think you should just stick with one size wheel IMO. Good luck!
 

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
Joined
·
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1badazzchevy said:
When I had my 99 Sierra, I ran 18 x 8's with 5.5" backspacing. The guys at Boyd Coddington helped me determine the backspacing to provide the most flush look. Also, I think you should just stick with one size wheel IMO. Good luck!
Now with going with 18x8 5.5 backspace fill up the rear cause the rear is a little bit deeper than the front? If you have any old pics post them up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
1buda said:
I think I found some 18" wheels for my truck. Just trying to get my ducks in a row so here goes:

Should I go with 18x8 w/5" backspace on all four corners or 18x8.5 w/5.5" backspace all the way around, or 18x8 for the front, 18x8.5 for the rear? I plan on running a 255/55/18 which should be alright, what brand of tires would you guys recommend? As all you guys know my 95 OBS 4/6 drop with Belltech spindles up front has me worried on the wheel not tucking (the stickie outie look :nono:) I haven't chosen the sytle wheel yet but they are from American Racing wheels. Some of you have given me some recomendations regarding this, thanks who have. I just think I need to get this rolling now. So many options and choices can make a guy mad :flame: .

Thanks in advance.
Kal



either of those wheels will be fine, but if it were me, i'd go with the 18x8 w/5" bs all the way around for two reasons. first of all, the more narrow wheel up front will all but assure you full turning radius lock to lock. not that a 8.5 wheel won't, but i don't really see any reason to chance it. second, by going with the same wheel width all the way around lets you rotate the tires for an extended tire life.

JMO,
RJ
 

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
Joined
·
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mood_indigo said:
either of those wheels will be fine, but if it were me, i'd go with the 18x8 w/5" bs all the way around for two reasons. first of all, the more narrow wheel up front will all but assure you full turning radius lock to lock. not that a 8.5 wheel won't, but i don't really see any reason to chance it. second, by going with the same wheel width all the way around lets you rotate the tires for an extended tire life.

JMO,
RJ
Thanks RJ. Whats a good brand of tires to go with? I think I should be alright going with 255/55/18 to keep the speedo crap the same or what you originally suggested 255/45/18?

Thanks again :worship:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
if you can fit them, i'd roll the 255/55 just because i like a lot of side wall. ride comfort is not something i'm willing to sacrifice just to "look cool"

the 255/55 is the same overall diameter as the stock tire for your body style so that may not work. what tire are you rolling now??
 

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
Joined
·
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
mood_indigo said:
if you can fit them, i'd roll the 255/55 just because i like a lot of side wall. ride comfort is not something i'm willing to sacrifice just to "look cool"

the 255/55 is the same overall diameter as the stock tire for your body style so that may not work. what tire are you rolling now??
255/60/15 they stick out about an 1/2" from the fender. Plus the rims are 15x7 with about 4 3/4" backspace. Well I guess if I can't run those it really won't break my heart. I just don't want to be smacking the top of the tire like I do now.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top