GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I pay hookers with gum..
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone ever dealt with TrailReady for their wheels? I got a decent price for 16x10 bead "looks" at 262 a piece. They are custom pieces as they don't make a 16x10 normally.

I was just wondering if they make a good product and have good customer service... I don't see many people with any of their products around here.
Here's the wheel. I want the wheel black with a polished ring.
beadlook.jpg

I am looking for good reservoir shocks. I see alot of fox shocks around here, but ive heard good things about King, Walker Evans, and others as well...

.. I'm just confused here as I've never bought anything like this before and I need people who deal with it to educate me.

If anything... help me make my yukon badass...:rocking:

If there are any other questions I need to answer, please ask, I can't think of every detail right now.

Thanks for any help, guys.

Erok

·
Registered
195 Posts
well what are you using your truck for? high speed off roading would be a good envirnment for resis. The (resi)voir allows for extra oil also the resivoir allows the oil to be cooled under high suspension cycle rates.

Also resis have a seperating piston inside to seperate the oil and nitrogen. This prevents cavitation aka your oil and gas mixing and becomes a bubbly cluster fuck. Once you get cavitation your shock doesnt not perform the way it should.

Unless your truck sees a ton of suspension cycling as in desert racing or tough trucks, resis on the street are pretty much bling. Unless you are looking for a very specific ride quality or have some kind of custom setup where an off the shelf shock is too firm or soft for your application. Resi's are usually able to be custom valved regarded rebound and compression rates. best names in the shock game would be fox, king, sway-a-way, bilstein, and FOA. hope that helps

as far as trail ready, ive seen plent of guys run them. never had a set myself though.

·
I pay hookers with gum..
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im sfa'ing my 2 door yukon. Nothing crazy.. just wanted something that looks good, rides well, and is functional when Im crawling up the mountain..

Here is a truck a friend of mine put together with a cognito 12 inch lift and dual reservoirs in the front.
Image13.jpg

I know the cost is more as compared to the regular shock absorber.. I just need to know what Im looking for. How do I determine what size shock I need for my application?

What brands are reputable and cost effective? (for example say If sway-a-way and fox are practically the same, then I'll know to look for the better price)

What sites offer the best deals on these shocks?

I will have about 12 inches of lift and will be running a 40-42 inch tire

·
Registered
195 Posts
in your application if you want to run 2 shocks per corner up front id say a 2.0in is good, since your not hucking your truck anything bigger will be a waste. in terms of what you need to have a properly set up shock you need the following things to tell the manufacturer so they can properly valve it.

1. Total wheel travel i.e fully compressed, fully drooped
2. sprung weight of corner
3. angle of the mounted shock
4. distance of shock mounts from the wheel.

3 and 4 are kind of hard to explain. Basically the shop or manufacturer will ask how the shock is mounted and some dimensions on your set up. same goes for the rear. if your just solid axle leaf sprung in the back it wont be too hard.

as far as costs, resis typically go from 180 to around 250. id say 4 best shock companies would be fox, king, sway a way, and bilstein. in no particular order. bilstein is usually cheaper by a few bucks but when buying 6 shocks it really doesnt matter. depending on the vendor, most will valve them for free when you buy from them. foxes seem to be the most popular, while kings are really popular with the hard core desert guys, but cost a ton.

if your concerned with spending a ton, look at FOA shocks, im considering them. they have not gotten great reviews by the baja community though. general consensus is that they arnt that great running in the desert but would be a good shock for the street.

I would give nick at nor cal truck (www.norcaltruck.com) a call, hes very helpful and usually has very competitive prices. ive bought from him a few times and always happy. id rather spend the extra few bucks getting his stuff from cali but knowing i got the right stuff.

also depending on what ride you want, your dual shock idea will play into that. typically the more shocks you have the firmer and stiffer the ride. you could have them valve it so that you can run 4 up front and still ahve a soft ride though, but thats just throwing money out the window imo.

also just saw your "crawling up the mountain" part in your last post. i know bilstein has a rock crawler shock out now. That might be another alternative. they may be able to valve it so its streetable.

·
I pay hookers with gum..
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your time and patience with me..
I highly appreciate you taking the time to help me on this.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Im running the Fox 2.0 resi's. And to me it actually feels like it rides better with the dual resi's than it did with the single bilstein 5125's. I paid 160ish per shock

·
Registered
195 Posts
josh is the 5125 a resi i dont remember. but a resi properly valved will always perform better then a standard valved off the shelf unit aka bilstein, rancho, etc. some people its fine, others it wont suffice. you figure if your going to spend thosands on a lift kit why skimp on the shocks and sacrifice ride quality. good luck with the shock selection, best idea would be to call up a few manufacturers and talk some specs with them, this way you have ball park numbers to work with when you decided to finally buy something.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The resi is the 5150, The 5125 is the emulsion style.

·
Registered
195 Posts
did you run the emulsions without coil overs cause iwas told emulsions are usually run in conjunction with coil overs. if you didnt run them with coils then how did you like them. emulsions are usually a little bit cheaper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts