GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Not a
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my front wheels toe in a little at the bottom recently so I took it to a place to get my front end aligned and they said my wheels are too big for the machine. I went to 3 other places and they all said the same thing. So I was wondering if it was possible to put some stock wheels and tires on for alignment then put the 24's back on and it stay aligned :think:

·
Registered
10,976 Posts
i've gotten my truck aligned with 39's on 16's, 36's on 24's, 35's on 20's and none of em ever been too big. so i dunno. i imagine it would still stay aligned though if u went with stockers.

·
Detailer & PC Tech
2,785 Posts
they will set alignment for specs with wheels you bring it in.
the problem might be you wheel tire combo doesn't allow their equipment to grasp on properly. that's a common issue with limited shops.
you might have to travel a bit for a more experienced shop to do it.

·
i always catch you hatin'
606 Posts
the only thing is to make the alignment would be the same, your "stock wheel/tire combo" would need to have the same overall diameter, which it sounds like that would be too big for them, btw what size tire are you running on your 24's?

·
Desert Rat
3,705 Posts
Yeah i had this problem on my 20's. so i just aligned it myself

Edit: there are places that specialize in lager wheels and they have the equipment to do them on larger wheels

·
Registered
307 Posts
i would look for a place that sells and installs larger wheels. I went to a shop that worked on semi-truck tires when I had my 24s, they did a perfect job.

·
"God Damn Buick Regal"
1,555 Posts
i get my wheels balanced and alighned at ntb. they can do plus size wheels

·
LaissezLesBonTempsRoulez
264 Posts
i would look for a place that sells and installs larger wheels. I went to a shop that worked on semi-truck tires when I had my 24s, they did a perfect job.
same here

·
Registered
136 Posts
i have aligned a hummer on 30s.. it depends on the shop. 25s and bigger there is an adapter that mounts to the lugs and it uses the center of the hub, which is better then the rim anyways..most alignment sensors only open up big enough for 24s or 24.5.. i aligned my old truck bagged on 24s and had no problems..

·
Registered
852 Posts
When i needed my truck aligned with my 22's i called the local discount tire and they reccomended the a shop in the area that was able to align my truck.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would think that if you put the stock wheels back on and got it aligned it would be the same as if you had your larger wheels on....

·
Registered
141 Posts
i would think your right, i align lifted trucks with stockers all the time due to waiting on tires and wheels to show up, and ive never had any problems....

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I would think that if you put the stock wheels back on and got it aligned it would be the same as if you had your larger wheels on....
i would think your right, i align lifted trucks with stockers all the time due to waiting on tires and wheels to show up, and ive never had any problems....
ya you can do your stockers, it might be just a touch not enough to concern you

·
Doin it for the lolz
318 Posts
You can align your truck on whatever wheels you want. They don't have to be the same size or anything. Only thing that matters is if your aftermarket wheels are all the same dia. then your stockers need to all be the same. If you got staggered wheels, then you need to have the difference in measurement on your stockers. This way the "rake" is the same. And those shops did not represent correctly. Their machine can align anythign that will fit on it, but the targets may not be able to attach to the wheels.

If anyone is close to New Orleans check out Kev's Kars. They can fit the targets on up to 26's I believe and can mount/balance like a 32 or something retarded.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Just call around to some shops. Like said, some can only do up to a certain size cause of the equipment they have. And as for aligning with stocks, I did that and when I put my 20s on, they were showing negative camber and I wore them out fast. Back on stocks for the moment up front, and they are wearing fine. I would think it doesn't matter, but apparently it does.

·
This space for rent.
21 Posts
It doesn't 02bluestepside, but stockers are more tolerant of poor alignment, and may actually have more toe or camber specified to make up for the huge flexi sidewalls.

the thing to do would be to get the specs off a truck with 20" or better, particularly one that is factory-lowered and use THOSE specs (ie an SS), not the base model specs that would match 16" rims and tire combo you may have rolled in on. The camber curves (rate of change) are much more aggressive when lowered so you have to BE more aggressive in getting the specs to the minimum (smallest) setting, not maximum (closest to where you started).

Alignment is how the wheel hubs are ALIGNED to an imaginary centerline. 13" Daytons or 30" the alignment specs don't change... however the acceptability of the gross end of the spec might.

·
Puttin 4 Bird
5,842 Posts
i take my yukon on stocks to get aligned. When i put the rims on, it is fine.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I have got my truck done with both the stockers and my 24s with no issues at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts