GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 Z71. I have bought a 99 tahoe that has been rolled but still runs and drives i was thinking about puting the motor trans and auto trac in my truck but instead of going thought the wireing. i was just going to swtich it to a carb, i know there is a box that you can buy that plugs in that lets the 4l60e shift right but does it comtrol the transfer case too. becasue mine is the stick shift transfer case and the tahoe has the auto trac in it What can i do? or what should i do? and i what i dont use will be up 4 sale!!!

·
QuadraSteernado
8,385 Posts
Your swapping the engine why not just swap the harness and computer over as well

and your going to need the tcase from the tahoe if you want the autotrac

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK the motor in the z71 is weak and holds about 5 oil psi at idle and 20 while driving the trans i have no clue when the last time it was serviced and the same for the transfer case i bought the tahoe from a family member it was babied most of its life service on time every time i would not mine doin the whole swap to the newer FI but i dont know what would it take?? i know the engine wiring and computer but can i use the newer tranny? or would have to use mine and if i could i would like to use the auto trac transfer case too mine is the Manuel shift. so i would need to know what it would take to do it also??? i would like to keep FI... i dont want this to take months to finish ether

1. what would i need to do to swap the complete drive train from the tahoe in the Z71 that means engine trans and transfer case and keep it F.I

2. i dont want to keep the Tbi, i would rather have a carb than tbi because I'm not worried about mpg's, with a carb you have more options, with out having to worry about getting a tune. i need power, the truck will be pulling a 27 foot 5th wheel camper so I'm not lookin for big hp, just more power than a tbi motor puts out and i have came across ed this tahoe cheaper than i could build a motor and it has alot more usable parts on it

3. if i change the wiring harness out under the hood? do i need to change the one under the dash too?? because if so i might as well swap the dash's out too.

4. the only reason the carb ideal was brought up is because it could be faster and easier to put a intake and carb and hei on the vortec motor, and drop it in and buy the box that still works the trans and transfer case... and as far a the guage's go. i would run mech. guage's in the truck at this point.

so if you can help me thanks i am open for ideal's not arguments about TBI vs Vortec or Vortec vs Carb

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
From what I've seen, those stand-alone transmission controllers are spendy as hell.

Yah they are!

You want to pull a 5th wheel with a half ton? :jester: Just sell both the piles a get a used 6.5 if you must stay GM or go w/ an IDI 7.3 Ford. Old Cummins come with a high tax.

M

·
0 Posts
Yah they are!

You want to pull a 5th wheel with a half ton? :jester: Just sell both the piles a get a used 6.5 if you must stay GM or go w/ an IDI 7.3 Ford. Old Cummins come with a high tax.
:whoa: I thought the same thing. If pulling a 5th wheel is an honest necessity, you have no business keepin a half-ton around for that duty. You may even be able to afford an older dmax with the way truck prices are.

As far as the fuel system goes...Other than needing big power for cheap, there isn't a good reason to ditch fuel injection. Do your research and learn how to do it right. Carburetors aren't as bolt on and go as people seem to think these days.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'll keep it short...to answer his original question.

I have a carbed SBC in a GMT800 with a 4l60E trans using the OE PCM, all you need to do is adapt a TPS sensor to your carb of choice. As long as the PCM see's a crank position sensor and the TPS sensor (assuming you don't move/remove the ECT, VSS, oil pressure and other sensors that don't get touched while working on the engine) it can function the trans, gauges, and the rest of the truck as if it were stock.

I would suggest doing some PCM tuning, not only to get more performance out of the trans but to turn off the long list DTC's that will now appear.

That will take care of the PCM side of things, the ignition and more importantly the fueling are separate topics.

Cheers ~Mykk

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yah they are!

Yea Thats right i going to pull it with a half ton. right now it does the job just fine but the motor is weak and i want to make the truck reliable too..

and as far a buying a newer truck i have $1500 in the z71 and $500 in the tahoe so i think i will stick with what i have and make the best of it

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:whoa: I thought the same thing. If pulling a 5th wheel is an honest necessity, you have no business keepin a half-ton around for that duty. You may even be able to afford an older dmax with the way truck prices are.

As far as the fuel system goes...Other than needing big power for cheap, there isn't a good reason to ditch fuel injection. Do your research and learn how to do it right. Carburetors aren't as bolt on and go as people seem to think these days.
yea it is a necessity i just got a devorice and i rented out my 3 bedroom home and bought the 5th wheel keystone camper i work on a boat for 30 days a time so im am only home for 6 months out of the year anyway so why not travel when im home now i can go stay anywhere i want lake, river, im workin on some land out in the country too so.

everyone is asuming that i want to ditch the fuel injection.. no i would like to keep it as long as it's not to much of a pain ass to do so .. i know about switchin to a carb in the 88-92 trucks but with the newer truck with the 4l60E is where im lost....

i would like for some one to tell me what i can do with what i have and not what i should sell and go buy

M

·
0 Posts
Yea Thats right i going to pull it with a half ton. right now it does the job just fine but the motor is weak and i want to make the truck reliable too..

and as far a buying a newer truck i have $1500 in the z71 and $500 in the tahoe so i think i will stick with what i have and make the best of it
yea it is a necessity i just got a devorice and i rented out my 3 bedroom home and bought the 5th wheel keystone camper i work on a boat for 30 days a time so im am only home for 6 months out of the year anyway so why not travel when im home now i can go stay anywhere i want lake, river, im workin on some land out in the country too so.

everyone is asuming that i want to ditch the fuel injection.. no i would like to keep it as long as it's not to much of a pain ass to do so .. i know about switchin to a carb in the 88-92 trucks but with the newer truck with the 4l60E is where im lost....

i would like for some one to tell me what i can do with what i have and not what i should sell and go buy
I hear what you're sayin my friend. It's what you got, and you're doing the best you can with it. As far as pullin around a 5th wheel, you're going to contradict the reliability you were after in the first place. A motor swap might make the truck pull stronger for a little while, but the frame, trans, and rear end are simply not designed to handle those sorts of things. These half-ton rear ends and trans units fail often enough without the abuse of regular towing.

It's up to you, but I think you'd be better off trading up for a 3/4 ton.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts