GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my truck out today for the 1st time in about 2 months. I love the new spindles and balljoints, worth the work. I lifted and lowered the rear fast a few times and noticed that my PSI in the front went from 100 PSI to about 83 PSI in about 5 seconds. What could cause this?
 

·
samcarol
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
back pressure keeps the system up. If you have a leak in ur tanks, ur truck ain't gonna stay up for shit.
 

·
Jason RIP
Joined
·
6,062 Posts
Never seen anything like that, of course I don't have back bags yet. I do see when I make turns the bag on the side of the turns pressure goes down, it's not transfer cause each bag has it's own valve. When I get out of the turn the pressure goes back to normal. In fact my needles bounce all over the place while I ride, but thats probably normal :evillol:
 

·
samcarol
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
bcubed said:
Never seen anything like that, of course I don't have back bags yet. I do see when I make turns the bag on the side of the turns pressure goes down, it's not transfer cause each bag has it's own valve. When I get out of the turn the pressure goes back to normal. In fact my needles bounce all over the place while I ride, but thats probably normal :evillol:
thats normal...

do you have a check valve?
 

·
samcarol
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
bcubed said:
Since I'm not sure what one is, I guess I don't :anitoof: so what is it?
i believe its a valve that makes sure that air only flows one way... not sure, i might have confused the names. Its not 100% air tight, but it seems to help. My friend had that problem with his MIC manual valves... got that "valve" and it works fine now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i believe its a valve that makes sure that air only flows one way... not sure, i might have confused the names. Its not 100% air tight, but it seems to help. My friend had that problem with his MIC manual valves... got that "valve" and it works fine now.
Are you talkin to me or Bcubed?
I don't have a checkvalve, I know I need one for the compressors I currently have though.
 

·
Jason RIP
Joined
·
6,062 Posts
way2hi said:
Are you talkin to me or Bcubed?
I don't have a checkvalve, I know I need one for the compressors I currently have though.
I have the Ride Pro kit and I know it didn't comes with one unless it's built into the valve manifold ...
 

·
Loves yoga pants
Joined
·
2,412 Posts
Let me know what size of check valve you guys need and what max allowable pressure you want it set at and I will get ya some quotes...industrial and commercial air compressors is what I do...most check valves are for national pipe thread (NPT) so I will need to know what size your hard lines are in order to get a quote. If they are pretty cheap I could prolly just send a set out as a sample set...

Pat
 

·
Jason RIP
Joined
·
6,062 Posts
OKLAGMCRUISER said:
Let me know what size of check valve you guys need and what max allowable pressure you want it set at and I will get ya some quotes...industrial and commercial air compressors is what I do...most check valves are for national pipe thread (NPT) so I will need to know what size your hard lines are in order to get a quote. If they are pretty cheap I could prolly just send a set out as a sample set...

Pat
Where would you put these at? I thought it was the job of the solenoid valves to make sure no air leaked past them when they were closed (bubbletight as Air Ride calls it) ..
 

·
Loves yoga pants
Joined
·
2,412 Posts
bcubed said:
Where would you put these at? I thought it was the job of the solenoid valves to make sure no air leaked past them when they were closed (bubbletight as Air Ride calls it) ..
I'm not sure of how it works on an air ride system, but they should be on the discharge of the receiver/tank so that the air does not go back into the tank and to another bag. The solenoid valves just allow the air to the bags, but some do not act as a check valve and allow blow by air to escape. The solenoid valve is activated from your switches to allow more air into the bags...right? but when you air down...where does the air escape to...does the solenoid valve release the air into atmosphere or is there a valve at the bag that releases it? Where are your valves located/installed?
 

·
MIA
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
The check valve is a small tube looking device. It lets air travel one way. I am not sure if you put in between your tank and valves, or compressor and tank .. I believe it's the valves and tank. Make sure it's facing the correct way, or you can't air up your truck.

Basiclly all it does is let air travel one way, and won't allow the air to seep back into your tanks. It's possible to run more than one ... for instance if you have multiple lines coming off your tank. Like on runs the front and one runs to the rear ... you can use two so if you play alot with the back, the front won't loose pressure some.
 

·
Jason RIP
Joined
·
6,062 Posts
01GMC said:
The check valve is a small tube looking device. It lets air travel one way. I am not sure if you put in between your tank and valves, or compressor and tank .. I believe it's the valves and tank. Make sure it's facing the correct way, or you can't air up your truck.

Basiclly all it does is let air travel one way, and won't allow the air to seep back into your tanks. It's possible to run more than one ... for instance if you have multiple lines coming off your tank. Like on runs the front and one runs to the rear ... you can use two so if you play alot with the back, the front won't loose pressure some.
I guess I could add it as a safety precaution, but my valves are supposed to not leak back down to the tank ... I just have one line from the compressor to the valves for now, and it's a tiny 1/4 one :bawl:
 

·
MIA
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
bcubed said:
I guess I could add it as a safety precaution, but my valves are supposed to not leak back down to the tank ... I just have one line from the compressor to the valves for now, and it's a tiny 1/4 one :bawl:

Got this off of www.airliftcompany.com


Check Valves

P/N Description Retail

21664 1/8" NPT x 1/8" NPT $10.00
21285 1/2" FNPT x 1/2" FNPT $13.65



Heck even www.grainger.com has them.
 

·
MIA
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
bcubed said:
I guess I could add it as a safety precaution, but my valves are supposed to not leak back down to the tank ... I just have one line from the compressor to the valves for now, and it's a tiny 1/4 one :bawl:
I don't think you will ever have a problem. You can't flow the amount of air as the other systems, so you can't out run your compressors. You only see this when you tank PSI is lower than you bag PSI. They want to equal themselfs out.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top