GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When shaving the tailgate handle do you want to do a full bead or just spot weld? I looked on Sir Mikes website and couldnt find anything.... :insane:

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
You do multiple spot welds but not all in a row, you need to do corners then do one on an opposite side until its a continuous spots touching each other all around. You can even keep a wet rag to cool it during the process. If you run a continuous bead it will warp like crazy.

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
TexK5 said:
You do multiple spot welds but not all in a row, you need to do corners then do one on an opposite side until its a continuous spots touching each other all around. You can even keep a wet rag to cool it during the process. If you run a continuous bead it will warp like crazy.
:word: I finished mine up the other day, and that's what I had to do. You have to be very patient when welding. Do a few spot welds at a time and let it cool in between. This will minimize warping.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See the problem is my handle outline is showing and Im droppin it off today. Its the full outline of where the handle was, any ideas of why? :ninja: :whip: :guns:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I had the same exact problem. The sheet metal was too thick. They have a new type of fire extinguisher out now that's good for more than just putting fires out. It can cool off sheetmetal pretty fast without warping it any.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Just do about 6 tacks at a time. Distribute them evenly around the handle. Just dont rush it. It will take you a good 1.5 hours to do it, so go ssssllllooooowwww

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Beyond Static said:
Just do about 6 tacks at a time. Distribute them evenly around the handle. Just dont rush it. It will take you a good 1.5 hours to do it, so go ssssllllooooowwww

take my tailgate as a prime example of major warping :insane:

·
Registered
785 Posts
mine is warped a little bit, we didn't notice the dent in the tailgate by the handle when we started the welding

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanx, I dropped it off yesterday to the shop. Said they would take care of it. When I went to get my paint scanned (where they take a pic) The place said it came up with a BMW color and altered it :insane: I just hope its right :crazy:

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
way2hi said:
I had the same exact problem. The sheet metal was too thick. They have a new type of fire extinguisher out now that's good for more than just putting fires out. It can cool off sheetmetal pretty fast without warping it any.
Sheetmetal? They used a filler on mine. So they shaved your door cool tho?Hope my handles gone when I get it. Of course it was gone last time, then after sittin 2 days in the sun it came back :flame:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
they used filler on mine also, but after about a week the thickness of the metal flexed and you could see where the handle was kinda.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, its still spot welded and I got it back AGAIN yesterday for like the 5th or 6th time......I hope it doesnt bleed through again :insane: :ninja: If it does, I dunno what to do! What are the laws with bureau of Autmotive repair for bad bodywork? Anything I can do, or just keep takin it back? Cause its gettin old :bawl: Im just prayin but its not a full bead :crazy: :read:

·
Changed my life
1,218 Posts
If they keep fucking it up your only option is to cut your losses and go to a new bodyshop, and pay them to do it right. :read:

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FUUUUUCK THAT! LOL I aint throwin' away money that could be for mods :bawl: :crazy: No reason why I should cut my losses, and let them get away with it if they dont wanna do it right........ So does the B-A-R- cover custom bodywork?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts